NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Eyepieces

ShaunyC

I recently got a myself a scope but the eyepices are pretty rubbish.. H4mm and 20 also a 2xbarlow..

I've tried getting my head round the whole principle of which eyepices to get..

I've read through related topics on here such as

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

now this goes on about plossls which from YT vids i've seen are know as the "good standard eyepiece"

i did find a chap on ebay willing to do a set 5, 10, 15, 25mm for my F/8 scope for £30 odd quid so you can see my buget isnt a vast amount..

But recently on another thread it got mentioned about wide field eyepices..

So i found these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wide-angle-eyepieces-set-4-6mm-9mm-15mm-20mm-/141041981905?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item20d6c1d9d1

alot more expensive than what i wanted to pay but if there going to be 10x as good it makes sense??

I know eyepices must be such a highly talked about topic but i was wondering if anyone could offer some advice, view's on te above or any other recomendations..

Thanx

Can't tell what the eBay EPs are. My advice would be to start with a good low power wide field EP of at least 68 to 72 degree apparent field of view, both for finding targets and for framing clusters. We use 24 mm 68 most times for this, because of our light pollution...our lower power EPs render the background sky too gray and washed out. If you were to spend a little more, you could get an 82 degree AFOV eyepiece at slightly higher magnification to give the same TFOV but with an even darker background sky and greater star count.

And we'd also get a wide field medium power EP. That's what we began with, and a Barlow that gave us 4 EPs starting out and covering a good magnification progression. The wide field will keep objects in your FOV longer under higher mags, frame objects better, etc. Dunno what everyone will recommend brand-wise, but we like Explore Scientific for the best performance/value aspect. The only thing we would have done differently would have been to get our 24mm in an 82 degree configuration rather than in the 68 we bought, but we're still super-pleased with these and the FOV is big enough for most targets.

So yeah, give yourself what you deserve, at least 2 strong EPs around which to develop a larger stable later.

Cheers

My scope is a Celeston powerseeker 127eq.. it was a used item but in good nick for price.. barring the eyepiecs of corse! lol

The eyepieces look like a Skysearchers??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Watcher-SkyWatcher-1-25-20mm-UltraWide-Multi-Coated-Eyepiece-20618-/121040297838?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item1c2e905f6e

Ok thanx that sounds like some quality information i can take on board :)

I think the explore scientific's are a little out my price range though! lol

Bst e/ps are well regarded and are tough to beat on price. With a wider f. O. V than a plossl they tick a lot of boxes.

Another option would be standard plossl design from a reputable name. Meade 4000 series, Gso ect. They usually go for under £20 a piece and do a decent job imo

I start out with Plossls and had them for years before replacing them with better ones. Longer eye relief was the most important consideration when I replaced the shorter Plossl (10mm) by a Vixen LV  9mm, because I need to wear glasses when observing (due to astigmatism). BSTs have a good rep by many accounts (I have never looked through one, so I cannot comment on their quality). If you can stretch to a MaxVision 24mm 68 deg, go for it, they are superd value for money

I can recommend the BST as an upgrade from the standard plossls that come with a scope in mid to high power. Nice contrast improvement and very easy on the eye if you wear specs. The 25 mm is okay to use in a fastish scope such as I have f/4.7 - f/5, but after having used the 25mm a few times now it definitely shows aberrations that will be noticed in some cases where a lot of the view is needed to frame a target, depending what you observe, (it is not coma so a CC will not correct that either.) 

Since the maxvision at 24mm and 68 degrees is available in a similarish price range at this power, though I have never used one, I'd be more tempted by that.  Some with more experience will throw more light on it no doubt, perhaps someone has done a direct comparison of the two or suggest something else.

edit: sorry, not having read the post properly seeing you got f/8 I don't know how the BST 25mm would really perform anyway.

In the classifieds, there is someone selling said eyepieces under the BST branding.

BST Explorer / Starguider / Astr-Tech Paradigm ED / etc. whatever they are called these days, have (as far as I know) nothing to do with Explore Scientific. The BST's are by all accounts a nice step up from kit eyepieces and more comfortable to use than generic Plossls in the shorter focal lengths, but I've not had the opportunity of looking through one.

The Maxvision eyepieces are a limited run rebrand of certain Meade eyepieces (same stable as the Explore Scientific) and these are very nice indeed.

Cool thanx for all the offerings of advice everyone.. :) I thought i wasnt allowed in the classified until i had so many post's?? anywho.. while am there i had a little look about, that set you linked seems ok.. what about..

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=73946

or

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=72285

I had a search for them BST's and all the other names they seem to go by, but it seems i'm loosing AFOV at a cost!?

I'm also watching a couple of meade 4000's on the bay but once again thought i'm sacrafising AFOV!?

Think i need to get a bailies and hotchoc and have a settle down to read the guide linked.. seems abit more in depth that the others i've read.. But i am starting to think.. i'm not going to fully understand until i get looking through different ones..

Random question about eye relif and glasses... wouldn't it not matter about wearing glasses as you'd just focus it into your sight?

The maxvision's seem abit better price for 82°.. but still well out my budget really..

It is not about focus, it's about being able to see the whole field of view. The thing about eyerelief and glasses is that with EP's with tight eyerelief like short plossls, orthoscopics, and many of the ultrawide angle 82°+ models, in order to see the whole field of view, you have to get your eye closer to the lens than your glasses will allow. I wear glasses while observing and so stick to eyepieces with about 20mm eyerelief.

Don't be seduced by cheap wide-angle EPs... it really isn't the be all and end all, and rarely if ever do they perform well. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, far better to go with the revelation plossls posted by Naemeth.

There are some BST's in the SGL classifieds for sale :smiley:

Which you need 50 posts to see :rolleyes:.

Don't be seduced by cheap wide-angle EPs... it really isn't the be all and end all, and rarely if ever do they perform well. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

+1

Those cheapies are what seem like Skywatchers??? are they not a verty good brand?

But i originaly set out looking for plossls so i'll keep at that, then as you say i can upgrade again, maybe

I just tried sending a message for http://www.astrobuys....php?view=74834 but it kept saying my email confermation is wrong?? is that because i dont have 50 posts?

Archived