NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

heritage ,bins or...something else ?

afternoon all.

to put you in the picture,earlier this year I sold my skywatcher 200p dob along with maxvision e/ps, and all the extras (stool, telrad, hard case,books) all for reasons beyond my control. im now really regretting this and am looking to get something with a very ,very limited budget.

im thinking of a pair of 15x70 bins to keep me going through this winter ,or even perhaps a heritage 130 tabletop dob. (second hand )

however im just wondering if im going to feel deflated with the views after using the larger 8" aperture ?

so my dilemma is should I get one of the above ( or something else within a similar price range) or should I simply save the pennies for another large dobsonian

8"-10" .

clear skies.

Whatever you use that is not an 8" scope may leave you feeling deflated, but i wouldnt worry too much. The Heritage would be a better choice (over the bins)  as it has more aperture and magnification. However, the best idea would be to save up and get the 8-10" Dob. If in the meantime you could squeeze a few more £££ into your budget and get the Heritage that would be great. It means you wont miss out while saving for the big Dob.

Not really much help, am i !!!!!!!.

Difficult decision that only you can make.

But I would consider the bins over the Heritage as they will still get used when you save the pennies for a bigger Dob.

That's true. I'm thinking 15x70 bins and a second hand Heritage are about the same price?. The bins would get more use when you have the big Dob. The bins will need a good sturdy tripod to mount them on, so that will add cost (unless you already have one?).

May I throw a different opinion in to the mix (sorry guys!). Personally I'd be lost without my bins... they're no alternative to my 10" dob but they aren't meant to be, they're an accompaniment. If you plump for the heritage I imagine you'll only end up wanting to upgrade it sooner rather than later if you already have an 8"-10" dob on the brain. If you opt for the bins, you'll probably end up keeping them to use along side your larger scope (which you can save up for I time) and they'll always be handy when setting up or transporting your telescope is impractical. Just a thought.

Andy

May I throw a different opinion in to the mix (sorry guys!). Personally I'd be lost without my bins... they're no alternative to my 10" dob but they aren't meant to be, they're an accompaniment. If you plump for the heritage I imagine you'll only end up wanting to upgrade it sooner rather than later if you already have an 8"-10" dob on the brain. If you opt for the bins, you'll probably end up keeping them to use along side your larger scope (which you can save up for I time) and they'll always be handy when setting up or transporting your telescope is impractical. Just a thought.

Andy

So thats basically what Alan said and then i kind of agreed. So we all agree, the way to go is buy the bins and save for the 8-10" Dob. This is assuming budget allows for bins, while saving for the big Dob. 

Sorry i am just recapping.

Good points chaps. I see your point about the bins becoming keepers to use along with the dob.

I was set on bins until recently , then I read good things on the heritage and can be had for under £60 s/h . I suppose I'd soon be looking to upgrade eyepieces too which would start to up the ante.

Good points chaps. I see your point about the bins becoming keepers to use along with the dob.

I was set on bins until recently , then I read good things on the heritage and can be had for under £60 s/h . I suppose I'd soon be looking to upgrade eyepieces too which would start to up the ante.

True enough and thats not a good thing while saving for a 8-10" Dob. Financially and economically, the bins make more sense. I was thinking the Heritage was going for about £60. Not too sure but i think Celestron Skymaster 15x70 sell new for about that much also?. 

While I don't have big binoculars like that, I do have the Heritage and a 10".

The 10" will beat the 5" anytime, but still I use the 5" the most.

Why? It's easy to set up, moon and planets are stunning in it given one or two aditional eyepieces, and the little dobsonian can be set up easily on a narrow balcony (try that with the 10...) and it can be carried single handed to the field right outside of my town.

I went for cheap-ish 10x50 binoculars, and it is an awesome combination. No car, no hassle, just enjoying the wide field views. Binoculars are nice, but those will not show you Saturn ring's Cassini division or more details on Jupiter ;-)

rory............ the Binoculars are for life, not just for Christmas? They will be great at night with the new 10" Dob that your saving for ( why go back to the 8" - whatever the reasons for selling) They will also be great for daytime use too. Dont forget, Too much mag will be heavy and the stars will `dance` ? Choose your exit pupil size . I used to have some Hellios 20x80 Stellars, 4mm Exit pupil. I`m now using the older style Bresser (with the red barrel rings) their giving me  a tad over 7mm.  Nice wide field and bright enough for my needs.

I'd certainly go for the bins. You'll loose magnification, but you'll gain a field of view that no telescope can provide. And as others have said, you'll still be using the bins long after they've been joined by a big dobsonian. With regard to magnification, I'd choose something no larger than a 10x50 so you can use them for extended periods without a tripod.

Archived