Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounts..

K3ny0n

Excuse the title  :huh:, just a quick question to be honest..

What differences are seen with a mount when used on a pier? Like, would I see any benefit using a NEQ6 mount over a HEQ5 on a pier? I'm asking because of the price differences in each mount.

Rob.

I would assume the main benefit of a pier is stability and faster set up. I'm guessing that the differences you would see between a pier mounted NEQ6 or HEQ5 would be those that are advertised, heavier payload ect

Assuming you are referring to a permanent pier then the advantages are rigidity and that you don't have to polar align every time you set up.  The only real disadvantage with a tripod (assuming it is of good quality) is that with some configurations the legs may get in the way of the scope (but this can happen on a pier too!)

You'll see no difference between a pier and a tripod assuming both are the standard issue. They are both perfectly competent. As stated, the point about a pier is that it is less of a trap in the dark and, very imortant for photographers, it allows you to track past the meridian for far longer without the tube colliding with it. The nearer the meridian the truer this is.

But don't expect it to add anything at the eyepiece. It's really your feet it will help!

Olly

Yes all your points are what I was thinking myself, I know I will not gain anything from the eye peice. The plan is to have a permanment pier setup so the question really was, is it really important to get say a NEQ6 over a HEQ5 if it is sat on a pier.

So looking at it, the only benefit would be if I ever wanted to upgrade the NEQ6 would be able to take the more weight?

Rob.

So looking at it, the only benefit would be if I ever wanted to upgrade the NEQ6 would be able to take the more weight?

Hi Rob, 

Yes that's pretty much it - the NEQ6 will give you more headroom for bigger payloads.

Getting a permanent pier wil give you benefits in terms of rigidity, but the big plus is that you can get your mount alignment bang on and it wil be there for you at each session.

The NEQ6 doesn't appear to give any performance benefits over the HEQ5 - you only have to look at the excellent images that Sara (swag72) gets with her HEQ5 to see that.

Archived