Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Killed my Canon 60Da

wxsatuser

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to share my experience. I also experienced my Canon 60D killed. What happened? I connected camera to my laptop via USB cable to get multiple shots from camera, and in pause of doing that camera went into stand by (powered itself off). When I tried to bring it back on (by pressing shutter button halfway as usual) nothing happened. I tried to restart camera and nothing happened. After I tried everything I could I sent it to service, and they replaced the board. When I asked what happened, they just told me that board needed to be replaced.

Now while searching on the net about this issue, I found one info which I did not found in Canon 60D's users manual, and info is on this site:

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21942/~/how-to-connect-the-camera-to-a-computer-using-a-usb-cable-(eos-60d)">http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21942/~/how-to-connect-the-camera-to-a-computer-using-a-usb-cable-(eos-60d)

I wandered if anyone can remember if their camera went into stand by before it was killed?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really did not know that. There's nothing about that in my original users manual for 60D and for EOS utility. Actualy I compared my manual for EOS utility and info I posted and only difference is section mentioning that auto power be turned off. I even downloaded actual manual for EOS utility from Canon site and it says nothing about autopower off. I wander how this info appeared on Canon Canada site?

I use a Canon 600D tethered all the time and I wonder if it's just your model. I switched from A-dep to Manual when it was tethered and didn't have a problem.  Also I'm constantly changing from Bulb mode to timer mode in Stellarium and it works just fine.  Could it be a software problem with that batch?

:smiley:

I don't believe mine powered off.

It had just finished downloading the last image I took and I changed from bulb to manual.

It immediately locked up, no responce at all.

Anyway good news as I have just heard from WEX that I should get it back tomorrow.

Excellent customer service from them and Canon have turned it round quickly.

In two minds wether ever to connect it to pc again.

It's not a user issue it's a circuit board fault on a batch of 60D and 60Da camera. It's an electrical problem and not software or firmware related.

The problem is to do with the USB part of the board and, from the evidence, to do with how long the USB cable is connected.

My camera died after running live view for a while. I shut down EOS Utility (the camera clicked as if the shutter twitched), disconnected the USB and shut down the camera (which cleaned the sensor as normal). Without changing any dials the camera it would not switch on again. As soon as you placed the battery into the camera and closed the battery door the camera starts to tick at a rate of around 2 per second. This is the camera trying to start and then crashing.

Well that's exactly what Im afraid of. So far from what I found on the net about this issue, I can conclude the following:

"You may use your Canon EOS 60D connected via USB to your PC, but it may be bricked at any time by a mere fact it is connected via USB".

After warranty expires it will cost at least 200€ to change motherboard, not to mention fact that it could probably take at least 3 to 4 weeks to wait for repair.

It looks like Park Cameras did the repair themselves rather than sending it to Canon.

I don't think that they got the sensor calibration correct as test shots using a lens are very red, unlike the test shots I took with the same lens in the same conditions before it failed. :-/

Not good.

My box came back with a type of invoice from Canon to Wex that showed what was done.

Even had the value on there as well.

They did the main board and recalibrated plus they cleaned the autofocus sensor, don't know

why as that should'nt be dirty?

Not good.

My box came back with a type of invoice from Canon to Wex that showed what was done.

Even had the value on there as well.

They did the main board and recalibrated plus they cleaned the autofocus sensor, don't know

why as that should'nt be dirty?

Have you managed to do any test shots with the camera yet?

I thought you might like to see the change in colour balance before and after the repair. I'm guessing that they used the standard 60D sensor calibration which would be totally wrong for the 60Da's filter.

Before:

Pre repair

After:

Post Repair

Having looked at the histograms, it's not so much that the red is boosted as the green and blue channels are decreased. Only setting the white balance to it's lowest value of 2300K does the image come close to the pre-repair condition.

On another note about Canon. I bought an Eye-Fi wifi card for my 1000D but when I inserted it into the camera it wouldn't switch on. Contacted Eye-Fi who said it should be compatible but they sent me another card which had the same result. They told me to contact Canon as it was a known fault with cameras that had been repaired by authorised service centres ( why they couldn't tell me that initially, I don't know ). Contacted the Canon service centre and they said it would be fixed for free so I've sent it to them. I await with bated breathe!

I thought you might like to see the change in colour balance before and after the repair. I'm guessing that they used the standard 60D sensor calibration which would be totally wrong for the 60Da's filter

Having looked at the histograms, it's not so much that the red is boosted as the green and blue channels are decreased. Only setting the white balance to it's lowest value of 2300K does the image come close to the pre-repair condition.

Here's my 60da as new , white balanced using one click feature in Canon software, doesn't look as red as yours.

Dave

post-21198-0-15092400-1384017328_thumb.j post-21198-0-51511800-1384017337_thumb.j

I've managed to use a custom white balance by tethering, running EOS Utility and putting the camera into live view.

It's obvious that the wrong calibration table has been loaded.

On a positive note, the camera survived USB tethering and live operation for well over an hour without breaking. :-)

Archived