Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginners enthusiasm!

Lanius

Hi all,

I'm still full of the excitement of a beginner getting to grips with a new telescope and enjoying every bit of my observing at the moment. I had my 4th observing session on Wednesday night. There was a bit of cloud about, until 10pm when it clouded completely, but the strong wind kept things moving across briskly. 

I picked up a few objects I'd not viewed before, like the Garnet Star and a few open clusters, but what struck me is how much clearer the sky seemed to be. I wonder if stronger winds keep the atmosphere more clear than on a still night?  Realising the better clarity, I checked out M13 and M31 and had the best views I've seen.  Especially M31 - I could see so much more of it than before and with M13 looking stunning, I had a wonderful double whammy of spectacular objects.

I was really thrilled at getting better views of objects I've seen before with the same optics, from the same location, but I shouldn't be altogether surprised when I do realise how atmospheric conditions play such a key role and how greatly they can vary.  Actually, come to think of it, both M13 and M31 were higher in the sky than when I last viewed them, so of course that makes a difference too.

So I've pretty much accounted for my good views but I just wanted to share my excitement here.  Still very much a newbie to this hobby, I'm loving the learning experience and giving serious consideration to a decent finder to replace the standard one that came with my 200P...and maybe a OIII filter.

Next, I need to set my alarm for an early morning to look for ISON.

All the best,

Gareth

Glad you are enjoying it.  Wednesday night was good here too.  That reminds me ISON is something I'll need to look at :). With regard to the finder I am in this quandary too.  I have a smaller scope with a red dot finder that I really find easy to use. That being said, the finder scope is great when you are near a target, recognise what you are looking at and then hone in or use it to star hop, so rather than replacing it may be worth thinking of adding a telrad, rigel quick finder or even a simple red dot finder, that way you'll end up with the best of both worlds, at least that is what I am thinking.  From reading around this does seem to be a favoured arrangement by many observers. Fitting the extra item  is not a bother whilst leaving the finder there.  With heavier eyepieces the Dob could run into some balancing issues however I imagine, but something that can be solved with a counter weight of sorts I would think.

I was on M31 on Wednesday as well, was pretty spectacular. I don't think the novelty and excitement ever wears off but I'm still in awe of how insignificant it can make me feel as a person. My 80-90 years on this planet is less than a microsecond to the universe and all that's out there! Reading the news about that Rogue planet being 12 million years 'young' is just phenomenal.

Higher in the sky means you are looking through less atmosphere which = better seeing.

Also as we get into winter the sky gets darker, again = better seeing.

Makes winter something to look forward to !

Hi all,

I'm still full of the excitement of a beginner getting to grips with a new telescope and enjoying every bit of my observing at the moment. I had my 4th observing session on Wednesday night. There was a bit of cloud about, until 10pm when it clouded completely, but the strong wind kept things moving across briskly. 

I picked up a few objects I'd not viewed before, like the Garnet Star and a few open clusters, but what struck me is how much clearer the sky seemed to be. I wonder if stronger winds keep the atmosphere more clear than on a still night?  Realising the better clarity, I checked out M13 and M31 and had the best views I've seen.  Especially M31 - I could see so much more of it than before and with M13 looking stunning, I had a wonderful double whammy of spectacular objects.

I was really thrilled at getting better views of objects I've seen before with the same optics, from the same location, but I shouldn't be altogether surprised when I do realise how atmospheric conditions play such a key role and how greatly they can vary.  Actually, come to think of it, both M13 and M31 were higher in the sky than when I last viewed them, so of course that makes a difference too.

So I've pretty much accounted for my good views but I just wanted to share my excitement here.  Still very much a newbie to this hobby, I'm loving the learning experience and giving serious consideration to a decent finder to replace the standard one that came with my 200P...and maybe a OIII filter.

Next, I need to set my alarm for an early morning to look for ISON.

All the best,

Gareth

I feel you Gareth. Way to go! and may you have Clear skies  :)

Enjoyed seeing your enthusiasm come shining through.

As has been said a combination of a Telrad and RACI takes the crick out of the neck.

BTW I found the addition of a 4" riser to the Telrad made a tremendous difference when near the zenith.

Good luck and clear skies.

That is awesome to hear. Even after all these years, I still feel that same excitement. There is just something about deep space that can feel so overwhelming at times and make one feel so-o-o-o small and insignificant. The "wonder" of the universe should stay with you forever.

Oh...and by all means get a RACI (Right Angle Correct Image) finder. It is quite helpful to locate things while in a comfortable position. A red dot finder or a Telrad is a great tool for lining up correctly too. Some people have been adding strong green laser pointers as they seem to point directly at the object into infinity. A great tool for "pointing"  things out in the night sky to others, but also when on a telescope actually negates the need to look through a finder because when it's aligned properly, your scope is already aimed right at what you are pointing to. I'm "aiming" to get one myself in the not so distant future. ;)

Archived