NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question on Focal reducers and barlows for imaging

DanDare

Hi,

A couple of questions.

With Mars very favourable I would like to try imaging with my F14 Mak and a webcam. What size barlow would you suggest to enable me to get a fairly decent size image? I was thinking either a 3x or 4x, but would 4x be pushing it?

With such a long focal length I have the opposite problem when it comes to imaging the moon, so is there a focal reducer available which would let me to get the whole moon in the image?

Thanks

Roy

A decent 2x would give you f/28 which is not far short of where you want to be I would guess.

And something like the Antares 0.5 focal reducer screws straight into the nosepiece of the webcam to bring down your f ratio for the moon.

And something like the Antares 0.5 focal reducer screws straight into the nosepiece of the webcam to bring down your f ratio for the moon.

Daz, is there a difference in placing the focal reducer on the back of the 'scope (NexStar 8 GPS) , where the visual back goes , to placing it in the nosepiece adapter of the TouCam ?

Is one the correct way and the other not , or is it just another option ?

Cheers

plasma.d00d

The reducer is designed to be a certain distance from the CCD. I doubt it would work unless screwed into the nosepiece. If it is further away the reduction is increased (but so, I take it is distortion etc) and closer would reduce the reduction.

The reducer is designed to be a certain distance from the CCD. I doubt it would work unless screwed into the nosepiece. If it is further away the reduction is increased (but so, I take it is distortion etc) and closer would reduce the reduction.

Me is confused :? Does this one screw into the nosepiece then or back of the 'scope .... ?

Meade f/3.3 focal reducer/field flattener

meadef33.jpg

The Meade f/3.3 reducer looks just like the Meade f/6.3 reducer, except it clearly is using more powerful magnification. The Meade reducer simply threads into the back of the Schmidt-Cassegrain like the Meade f/6.3 reducer.

Archived