Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Luminos - iPad app

Gregnat73

Hi

Last night I tried Luminos (an astronomy app for iPad) and I have to say it was pretty good! I'm by no means an expert and usually use Sky Safari (the free version) and found Luminos to do all the same things (point and scan to identify objects, gives info on selected objects, you can change the time etc) but it also had a few extra features I've never found on other apps.

First you can mark things as seen - it records the date and allows you to add notes. Seen objects are sorted by categories (Messiers, Caldwell, Solar System etc). It also seems to show a lot more objects, satellites, asteroids etc.

It also has some fun features. With a satellite selected you can hitch a "ride". The screen gives a simple image as though you're on the back of the object. Quite cool to see which country the satellite is actually passing and try to spot your location from orbit!! You can also choose to "observe" from another planet/solar system object.

But I think the most useful feature is being able to set a fov (either by putting in your telescope/eyepiece details or manually) even with the bins, this made it so much easier to star hop and locate objects. It also has an option of overlaying telrad rings.

The app cost £4.99 (i think!) but I definitely recommend it for those people who use their iPad for stargazing.

Never heard of that before but it looks great and the reviews on the App Store are uniformly good. Tried stuff like StarWalk on the Ipad but this looks as though it is in a different league altogether.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Go Sky Watcher until the most recent update when they added adverts which shine brightly at the bottom of the screen even when night-viewing mode is active, hence rendering it completely useless.

I noticed Lminos mentioned elsewhere and they have some excellent tutorial videos on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wobbleworksluminos

Seeing this confirms it for me I think, thank you.

Harry

I think Luminos is great. I don't really use the star map part of it, but have all my scopes and ep's in it so I can easily calculate magnification, field of view and exit pupil. I normally then transfer the fov to SkySafari as the star map in this is better I find. It is useful for satellites too as you say.

Cheers,

Stu

Agree about Luminos. Particularly useful lists of DSOs where you can search for them, record sightings etc. it's surprising that this app doesn't get more mentions along with the usual Sky Safari etc. It was recommended to me on this forum and I've used it ever since.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived