NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Couldn't bag NGC7000, what's the problem?

emadmoussa

This is really embarrassing, NGC7000 (North American Nebula) was on my list last night...scanned the area back and forth several times using a 6" refractor...for the life of me couldn't bag it. I got it before, but for some reason I can't see it again. What's going on here? I'm was so confused...and frustrated.

NGC7000.jpg

What EP were you using? NGC 7000 needs a massive FOV to really appreciate it. My best views were from a dark location using a UHC filter, with my 80mm and 31T5 "Panzerfaust", yielding 15.5x and 5.3 deg FOV.  I have spotted it with binoculars on good nights from my back garden, but much depends on the transparency of the sky. LP affects me badly when the sky is even the slightest bit hazy, but on really transparent nights (rare) I can spot difficult targets like NGC 7000 and M101 easily with my smaller bins.

What EP were you using? NGC 7000 needs a massive FOV to really appreciate it. My best views were from a dark location using a UHC filter, with my 80mm and 31T5 "Panzerfaust", yielding 15.5x and 5.3 deg FOV. I have spotted it with binoculars on good nights from my back garden, but much depends on the transparency of the sky. LP affects me badly when the sky is even the slightest bit hazy, but on really transparent nights (rare) I can spot difficult targets like NGC 7000 and M101 easily with my smaller bins.

I was using Baader zoom..

Yep, several times before I framed it with only the RACI finder through the window or from back garden.

The North American Nebula needs low magnification and good conditions to be seen, plus a filter to be seen well. Even a little haze (plus light pollution) will almost wipe it out in my experience. Like yourself, sometimes I have found it easily but on other occasions I have found it difficult or impossible to see.

As said in an above post, try binoculars. They will give you a good indication of how visible or not it may be before you try with the scope.

Archived