Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering my EQ3-2 single axis motor drive

Okeydokey

My imaging set up is just outside my living room so running a 240V supply out to the scope/camera is no problem.... however I would like to run the RA motor drive  from a mains supply instead of the battery option.  The only info I have is that it is a 'DC 6V power'.  Is it an easy fix to take one of the many phone, PSP, or similar chargers lying around my house and connect it to the motor drive?   I have a battery box with a positive and negative terminal feeding it for the battery supply, could I just crocadile clip the thing on in the first instance?

Thanks for bearing with my naivity, I'm sure it's obvious.

I use a 6V DC wall-wart style PSU to power mine.  It was just one I had lying about from something that had died.  I put the correct size plug on the end, made sure it was connected up the correct way around and it's worked without a problem since.  I'd suggest using one that can deliver at least 500mA.

James

Beware of cheap power units they are often unregulated and only give the rated voltage when they have the right load - the item they were designed for.  I made this mistake once with a CCTV camera.  It wanted 12v and I happened to have one of those black blocks that plug directly into a wall socket marked 12v 1A.  That will do nicely I thought.  But the camera didn't work and when I checked the output voltage with a DMM I found it to be nearly 18v - I had blown up the camera and felt a right idiot :(

Maplins part L06BR. does assume a Maplins around you within reach.

They do a smaller one: L82BF which should be OK for the drive.

Any reason for not getting the dual motors ?

No reason for not getting the dual motor... except ignorance tbh.  There is a Maplins in Poole, I will be popping over in the morning, thanks for that!

Archived