NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher v. Telescope Service 32mm Super Plössl

I already own a reasonable selection of  EPs (see list in signature) but in my first outing with my f5 SW Explorer I felt I could have done with a 30-35mm EP for really wide views - eg. The Pleiades or M31.

Although there are a number good SWA EPs up to about 25mm there appears to be precious little available in 1.25" EPs at 25mm+

With a budget of around ₤100 max the choice would seem to be restricted to Super Plössls - the Skywatcher 32mm SP or the Telescope Service 32mm SP. The stated specifications are almost identical, physically they look identical and the prices ₤/€ seem are similar.

1. Does anybody know if these are in fact the same product?

Skywatcher 32mmSP:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sp-plossl-eyepieces.html

Telescope Service 32mmSP:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p151_Super-Ploessl---32mm-Brennweite---1-25----FMC.html

2. Has anybody experience with either? They appear to be aimed at the f5 scope spec. but will I get much more from a 32mm Super Plössl than from my 20mm SWA or 25mm Plössl?

Any advice/information would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Roger

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the replies.

Naemeth, why would you go for the Vixen? The TS seems ideally suited. But there is this alternative within my budget which may be even better - what do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-93323-Omni-Eyepiece-32mm/dp/B00008Y0SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380957638&sr=8-1&keywords=eyepiece+32mm

Kind regards

Roger

TS state their EP is suitably at f4.6 or higher.

On the original German page, they say good match to f/5 - f/6.

I don't have first hand experience of any of these EP's but I don't expect you would see much difference between them.

Thanks for the replies.

Naemeth, why would you go for the Vixen? The TS seems ideally suited. But there is this alternative within my budget which may be even better - what do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-93323-Omni-Eyepiece-32mm/dp/B00008Y0SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380957638&sr=8-1&keywords=eyepiece+32mm

Kind regards

Roger

They are slightly higher quality eyepieces, and should perform better at F/5. The other two are designed for F/6 and slower.

With my 150P I used to use a Vixen LV 30mm. A big 2" lump with a 60° field but if you can find one second hand they are very nice. If I was looking for Plossls I would go for either second hand Televue or Vixen I think.

If it's wider field of view you're after, then a 2" EP around 30mm will be more suitable. There's an used 30mm SW Aero in classified section here, it will give you about 2.6 degree. or this one

http://www.explorescientific.de/maxvision-68deg-okular-28mm-p-25563.html

give you aroun 2.5 degree, both should work well on you f5 scope. The FOV of 30-32mm plösssl is around 2-2.2 degree.

If it's wider field of view you're after, then a 2" EP around 30mm will be more suitable. There's an used 30mm SW Aero in classified section here, it will give you about 2.6 degree. or this one

http://www.explorescientific.de/maxvision-68deg-okular-28mm-p-25563.html

give you aroun 2.5 degree, both should work well on you f5 scope. The FOV of 30-32mm plösssl is around 2-2.2 degree.

My current widefield EP is the ES version of the Maxvision 28mm 68° and it's lovely. I use it at f/4.7 and it's fine.

i have a celestron omni plossi 12mm, when i used it in a 6" skywatcher dob it gave brighter and better contrast views on jupiter and in general compared with the 25mm and 10mm sky watcher wide angled long eye releif ep's but not a massive step up in my opinion.

hth Clear Skies Tim

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

As I thought - lots of food for thought and thanks to all who have replied here.

My intention had been to select a 30-32mm, 1¼" EP to compliment all my other EPs which are also 1¼". I had hoped to avoid moving to a 2" EP because it would entail changing the  1¼" / 2" adapter as well as the EP when changing from 20 or 25mm to 30. It would seem from what I've read that 32mm is the absolute max FL for a 1¼" EP so this was where I had set my sights. Now I'm not so sure. My 25mm is a straightforward Celestion Plössl and I also considered upgrading to a 25mm SWA but here again there is not that much available in my budget range in 1¼". A 25mm SWA in 1¼" (if available) might be the solution, forgetting about a 32mm SP.

Decisions, decisions - I will have to mull this over a bit me thinks.

Thanks and kind regards

Roger

Roger Fairhurst..... With all those Binoculars, why the need for 30mm+ wide views on the telescope? You`d have to change the eyepiece to something higher once you find your target anyway! You could sell some Bino`s to off-set the cost of a new eyepiece . Most eyepieces are struggling with wide views past 25mm in a 1.25" barell, so the need to go to  the 2" adaptor still arises. You only need the adaptor for the one lens, but where do you store it when observing? Sky`s the Limit on ebay are selling the  BST 1.25" `Starguider` 25mm 60`degree eyepieces, good for f/5 for £49.oo even to Aachen I believe! Check out the BST 25mm. Starguider,  that and/or 12mm are my next choices.

You could sell some Bino`s to off-set the cost of a new eyepiece .

Er,  not really! They all have their uses not restricted to astronomy - one's almost an antique and one's been commandered by the wife!

I'm obviously still very much a beginner, learning about equipment hence this and other threads I've started. Though I must say the idea of the 25mm BST looks tempting and if I worked the Sky's the Limit postage rate button correctly, delivery is free to Germany too - not bad!

I enjoy just getting down on the lounger with a couple of pairs of bins to look at whatever takes my fancy but wouldn't use bins as an extension of the scope at the lower magnification end. I tend to use the scope for specific targets and the bins as a complete change - you can really just scan the skies with bins in a way which you can't really do with a scope.

Hope this makes sense.

Kind regards

Roger

equally a 24mm 68 degree maxvision is a great choice for you here.

Hi Stargazer,

for reasons already aired I want to avoid having just the one 2" eyepiece in the collection. Both the Maxivision and the Panoptic are frankly outside the price I'm prepared to pay. I am beginning to understand the limitations of 1.25" wide angle eyepieces - not least of all through advice from this site and will make a decision at some point about a 24mm or 30/32mm EP. Some of the EPs suggested are quite huge bits of kit which would seem out of place on my wee 6" Newt! The Baader 8mm Hyp. is my biggest EP (physically) and that is almost too big for the scope!

It is my intention to resist all temptation in the direction of more apperture and be satisfied with the basic OTA and mount I've got - all I'm really trying to do is to tease the max out of the set up without going OTT on add-ons - 2" EPs are not cheap!. The only real major outlay I can envisage will be for a goto mount at some time in the future but not before I've spent enough time with the manual mount to find my way around the sky on my own, feel comfortable with the set up and boned up on all the good stuff that can be enjoyed with my modest equipment.

The enthusiasm shown by the members I have come into contact with on this site and their willingness to share experience and advice have been a major factor in motivating my own entry into the world of stargazing and I thank you all.

Kind regards

Roger

The Maxvision / Meade is certainly mechanically better, and likely to be optically better than the BST's. Also gives pretty much the maximum field available with a 1.25" barrel. Seems like a fine choice to me. We really are spoilt by having all these fine choices available, though it does make the choosing harder :)

Thanks Stargazer & Rik - I agree that the Maxivision looks to be a good choice. I thought when looking at the link that it looked like a Meade! Presumably from the same factory.

I'll sleep on it but will probably be up early to order and a bargain at €83,90 incl. postage.

Kind regards

Roger

Hi Stargazer,

.......It is my intention to resist all temptation in the direction of more apperture and be satisfied with the basic OTA and mount I've got - ........

Roger.........One Day, You`ll regret saying that. ?  I went from 127mm to 200mm the difference is WoW !

The lenses you choose  may stay with you for life,  they will transfer from this scope to the next. Aperture is all important. Anything bigger will always be better.

Also, when you master manual use, why get a go-near, sorry, a  go-to mount. Motors are really only usefull for tracking one object at a time, good for  photography or sketching images, they have  power requirements too, batteries dont like the cold nights,   Now Ive never owned a motor, and wont buy one for my Celestron 127EQ mount ( unless I choose to commence astro-photography with my Nikon- but I`d probably get a SCT for that) infact I`m hoping to sell the 127EQ before Christmas. Could be a cheap buy for someone for about 50 notes or less. (locally, to heavy/fragile to post).

Aperture will always dictate. Im not saying buy another scope right now,  go ahead and try to  get the best from what you have, my point is, lense wise, whatever you decide to buy will  always transfer to the next scope be it 2" or 1.25" You would not regret buying your larger 8" 12"  Apertured scope :smiley:

I can understand your reservations on 2" eyepieces but most folks who use them just have one or two of them. There is no point in having the 2" format in medium to shorter focal lengths. On the weight issue, some 2" eyepieces are very heavy but not all. The Skywatcher Aero ED's are good optically but lighter than most 2" eyepieces and quite possibly no heavier than a Hyperion 1.25" eyepiece.

Roger.........One Day, You`ll regret saying that. ?  I went from 127mm to 200mm the difference is WoW !

Aperture will always dictate. Im not saying buy another scope right now,  go ahead and try to  get the best from what you have, my point is, lense wise, whatever you decide to buy will  always transfer to the next scope be it 2" or 1.25" You would not regret buying your larger 8" 12"  Apertured scope :smiley:

Charic

Thanks for your assessments but I do intend to stick with the scope I've got because I will be a pensioner next year with limited budget and would like to feel comfortable that I've got a small but resonable setup by then. Now "never say never" could perhaps mean that that will change at some future date but I have to learn to be content with a modest setup. Also I really do NOT want anythging physically bigger, the 150 Explorer is already a handful for me and any new scope would have to be a small but powerful az goto - ie. literally downsize whilst improving performance. That, however will have to wait for my first lotto win. And that would mean I would have to start playing the lotto!

The reasoning behind this strategy is that viewing from my garden is massively restricted by house and trees and so my gear has to be dragged upstairs and through the house from the cellar via a spiral staircase (cellar is at garden level) and into my tiny Hyundai i20 for trips to dark sky sites so this is one case where bigger is not necessarily better!

I can understand your reservations on 2" eyepieces but most folks who use them just have one or two of them. There is no point in having the 2" format in medium to shorter focal lengths. On the weight issue, some 2" eyepieces are very heavy but not all. The Skywatcher Aero ED's are good optically but lighter than most 2" eyepieces and quite possibly no heavier than a Hyperion 1.25" eyepiece.

John

Thanks too for your input. It is always interesting to hear about the different strokes for different folks!

However, I have already invested enough in my current setup from an EP standpoint even if I could manage with fewer 2" lenses. Selling second hand gear here in Germany is not something I want to get into not least of all because of the depreciation. I also suspect that there would not be an awful lot to be gained from up-sizing to 2" in a 6" Newt. I am also quite happy with the range of EPs I have (now with a nice big 24mm as well - when it arrives!)  and 2" EPs are, as a general rule, both bigger, heavier and more-to-much-more expensive than their smaller brothers and sisters.

In summary, I'd love a nice big flexible 16" DOB with goto and a selection of nice fat 2" TVs but then I'd need that lotto win, a bigger car and somebody to hump that lot around for me - and the wife's already made it clear she's not gonna be that someone! Of course with the lotto win I could always move to Spain to a dark sky area and have an observatory built.

Yep, I think that's what I'll do. Well, we can dream can't we?

Thanks again for all the advice guys it is appreciated.

Kind regards

Roger

Archived