Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First ever outing with new scope and bins - magic!

A member of my local Astro Club called me yesterday afternoon at around 4:50 asking if I wanted to join him in the Eifel for an evening of observation (mostly clear skies were forecast).

“Yeeeees! When should we meet?”

“At 5:50”

Gulp!

Raced around collecting all my gear, slinging it all into the car and off I went. 116km later atop a hill deep in a forest we set up our gear - amazingly I appeared to have not forgotten anything in the rush!.

Conditions were not perfect but I was able to recognise a number of constellations and with a little help from my new friend managed to observe:

Andromeda Galaxy and M110 & M32

M13

M27

Pleiades

I was even able to make out the Andromeda Galaxy and M13 with my new bins and The Pleiades were stunning through scope, finder scope and bins.

Too much wind and a partially cloudy sky meant we didn’t stay all night because steady views were not always possible especially through my friend’s 16” DOB!

I am well pleased with the results of my first outing and am slowly getting used to the scope and recognizing constellations. More studying is called for and preparation – I was not really ready when the call came through but I wasn’t gonna miss out!

The forecast for the weekend when a scheduled trip to the Eifel is listed is poor so no chance. Also the observing evening at the club's observatory tomorrow will not take place so I am dead chuffed that I managed to get a session in yesterday.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

Kind regards

Roger

It certai

As for the weather?  That's what this hobby is all about.....getting out while you can.

It certainly is. Twenty minutes ago it was solid cloud here in South Dorset and then the sky just cleared. About to get the scope outside! Just goes to show you should always be ready for unexpected viewing :)

Archived