Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Soo hard to get the right info, feeling frustrated is an understatement !

They also make scope attachments to deal with field rotation for serious imaging.

Ah!  That's what I was after.  You can use the mount if you wish, but for long exposure imaging (where long is probably not much more than a handful of seconds with even a moderate focal length) you also need to rotate the camera if you're not going to use a wedge.  I've not seen that many camera rotators, but I bet the wedge is cheaper and much easier to use :)

James

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark, they track in Alt Az, beautifully from an observing point of view.  However, because of the tilt of the celestial equator relative to the earth's axis there is a slow rotation of the star field across the field of view.  This isn't really an issue when observing but if you try to take long exposure images of more than a few seconds (depending on focal length and chip size) you start to get rotational star trails.  

One way around this is a wedge to convert to equatorial tracking and the other is to get a field rotator that rotates the camera to match the the alt az field rotation.  

Ah!  That's what I was after.  You can use the mount if you wish, but for long exposure imaging (where long is probably not much more than a handful of seconds with even a moderate focal length) you also need to rotate the camera if you're not going to use a wedge.  I've not seen that many camera rotators, but I bet the wedge is cheaper and much easier to use :)

James

Well, yeah...everything comes at a price doesn't it? ;) And I agree a wedge would be preferable. If the OP is just starting out, anything that will track will be sufficient for starters. 

My first telescope purchase was a Celestron Nexstar 8" SCT.  Great for observing and solar system imaging.  I did some deep sky imaging with it and using a Meade 3.3 reducer and then the celestron fastar system I could manage up to 45 second unguided exposures before field rotation started to kick in.  When I upgraded my camera I got myself a wedge and that worked well.  A DSLR is a big chip and will show up rotation faster than my old modded web cam.  

Ash it seems to me you need a little grounding in astronomy and astroimaging this is a highly rated book it will give you some of the principles behind astroimaging and although it is more geared to deep space imaging than wide field you may may find it useful

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

WOW,

Im very humbled with all these replies i was not expecting to be honest, ill deffo be looking at the Abingdon society i didn't even know it existed.Im not after hubble type images i just want to be able to see what is up there and be able to take an image of anything, im crazy mad on nebula especially Orion and Eagle dont know why just one of them things,I dont necessarily want mad expensive mounts,tracks,pods and the rest of it but some form of tracking device would be great.

My pentax in Bulb mode can take 10 minute exposures i think but it can deffo take 30sec for sure.

With this programe you guys was on about do you need this to actually take images of the night sky or is that to operate certain equiptment ?/

truly greatfull for all of your advice means alot nice to know theres decent people out there 

regards

Ash 

Ash it seems to me you need a little grounding in astronomy and astroimaging this is a highly rated book it will give you some of the principles behind astroimaging and although it is more geared to deep space imaging than wide field you may may find it useful

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Thank you i will absolutly be reading this !!!!!! 

Well, yeah...everything comes at a price doesn't it? ;) And I agree a wedge would be preferable. If the OP is just starting out, anything that will track will be sufficient for starters. 

i wanna walk before i can run so cheaper the better just as long as it works  :grin:

Even Meade's largest scopes used for imaging are situated on Alt-Az mounts. The computer calculates the necessary movement in both Dec and RA.

Although I'd hardly call the mounts for the ETX line anywhere near the quality of this...

(I drool everytime I see one of these...Meade's LX200-ACF 16")

image002n4_enl.jpg

Looks like something the more advanced person would be using no ?

Yes, something like that would work too. On the ETX mount, you'd have to rig a board or something to fit between the forks that the camera can be attached to.

Why not get a scope with an Equatorial mount and mount your camera on top of the scope? Or mount the camera in the focusing end of the scope and use the scope as the lens? Then you can use it for photography and/or viewing.

You have lots of options. 

I did see someone one time with the camera attached to the eye end of a telescope looked rather awesome but im not sure i can get the attachements for my camera and im really kean on taking images with a telescope if im been honest but ill sure see whats about and see what its all about 

I'd research the Astrotrac well if you're thinking about it.  I seem to recall that you can end up needing to buy additional bits and pieces.

If you're just wanting to take pictures with the camera and lens rather than mount a telescope then you may well find that an EQ3-2 (the GOTO model) is sufficient.  I managed unguided four-minute exposures using EQ3-2 with dual axis motors (probably less accurate than the GOTO) with a 450D and 200mm lens.  Depends on the weight of your bigger zoom lens though.

I'd also investigate what kind of exposure times you can get with the K-7.  Ideally you'll need some sort of programmable remote shutter release unless it can be controlled from a laptop.  If the maximum exposure time is limited however then it would make sense to look at what you can achieve with the camera and buy kit to suit that rather than spending loads on gear that you can't exploit fully because the camera isn't suitable.

James

I seen there is a package from astrotrac that do all the stuff u need to get going alot of money but it will be worth it no ? 

i wanna walk before i can run so cheaper the better just as long as it works  :grin:

If you're ok at DIY and want something cheap, you could always have a go at making a barn door tracker.

James

Hello, I am an imager and a member of Abingdon Astronomical Society and I can talk for hours about it. Why don't you come to one of our meetings, we also meet afterwards in the local pub to discuss our interests.

http://www.abingdonastro.org.uk/aas_blog/

Just had a look ont he website does not say when ur next meeting is so ill keep an eye out thanks mate 

I did see someone one time with the camera attached to the eye end of a telescope looked rather awesome but im not sure i can get the attachements for my camera and im really kean on taking images with a telescope if im been honest but ill sure see whats about and see what its all about 

Usually all you need to connect a DSLR to a telescope is a T-ring adapter for the camera.  I imagine one would be available for the Pentax fitting.  If the telescope doesn't have a T-thread fitting then it's possible to get a T-thread to 1.25" or 2" adapter to fit in the telescope in place of an eyepiece and connect to the T-ring adapter on the camera.

Read the recommended book first though.  It's the best way to find out what you're getting yourself into.

James

I seen there is a package from astrotrac that do all the stuff u need to get going alot of money but it will be worth it no ? 

If you're interested in the Astrotrac, I'd post a specific question about what you get and so on.  There are several SGL members who have one who I'm sure would be able to clarify exactly what is required and what isn't.

James

what is this for ??

It seems not to work for your camera unfortunately. It's a lovely program many people use with DSLR's to do their imaging with.

I absolutely second the above mentioned book and may I add another one: "backyard astronomer". Absolutely great info with lots of pictures. Easy read too!

excuse me lmfao what on earth is that ??

It's a mount made of two hinged pieces of wood that can be "opened" very slowly using a threaded rod or bolt (and that can be motorised).  It's quite possible to fit on on top of a tripod, say, and to put a ball-head fitting on to take a camera.  It's probably the simplest camera mounting you could find.  Here's an example:

http://www.astropix.com/BGDA/SAMPLE2/SAMPLE2.HTM

James

EQ5 is managable for sure is it possible for me to attach the camera to that and go picture hunting ?? or is there even more i need to get ??

You will need the Vixen Style Photo Dovetail  to attach to the DSLR so that you can then attach it to the EQ5 mount and a remote timer to allow you to plug in delays and exposure length and number of subs without having your hands all over the camera so you don't introduce vibrations into the images. Thats it. Well and a power source of course.

If you think that you will not get into imaging with an actual telescope anytime soon I would really suggest looking into the Astrotrac. It very light weight and compact and thus GREAT for traveling. So you can take it to dark site very easily or on the plane if you evr do any traveling. It produces very good widefield shots. Not sure how well it works at longer focal length (or long exposures like 5 or 10min subs) like 500mm but do a search on here under the imaging section for Astrotrac and you'll find plenty of great examples.

Looks like something the more advanced person would be using no ?

The Meade LX200-ACF?

At $16,000 I would certainly think so. ;)

But, that's part of what I like about the old ETX line...lots of things one can do with them for not all that much money, including some imaging. Although most of the guys who used them for imaging did a lot of mods to them and bought tons of other accessories. 

Follow these other SGL guys' suggestions ...they are pointing you in the right direction for sure. 

Just had a look ont he website does not say when ur next meeting is so ill keep an eye out thanks mate 

14th October is the next main meeting (invited speaker), 21st October next beginner's meeting (members give short talks for beginners). This week is observing week but the weather is not kind so we haven't met yet. Maybe tomorrow. Observing evenings would be great for you because you can see a lot of scopes and ask a lot of questions (and maybe see something, too!). Forecast is not good, so might have to wait for next month. 

The Meade LX200-ACF?

At $16,000 I would certainly think so. ;)

But, that's part of what I like about the old ETX line...lots of things one can do with them for not all that much money, including some imaging. Although most of the guys who used them for imaging did a lot of mods to them and bought tons of other accessories. 

Follow these other SGL guys' suggestions ...they are pointing you in the right direction for sure. 

yea i feel much more at ease now i got something to go off i cant thank you guys enough really appreciate it 

14th October is the next main meeting (invited speaker), 21st October next beginner's meeting (members give short talks for beginners). This week is observing week but the weather is not kind so we haven't met yet. Maybe tomorrow. Observing evenings would be great for you because you can see a lot of scopes and ask a lot of questions (and maybe see something, too!). Forecast is not good, so might have to wait for next month. 

ohh sweet what tome tomoz eve and where mate ? ill be there for sure 

Archived