Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light with Skywatcher 300p

Hello there - a report from me on first light with a Skywatcher 300p flextube in a reasonably dark corner of Lincolnshire.

Mr Foundaplanet arrived at about 20:00 last night and we got set up in the garden with my new (well, new to me - thank you scarp15) 300p and Foundaplanet's home brew (excellent, I might add) dob mounted  OO 8" newt and 4" frac.

So we got started by looking up around Cygnus, Lyra and Hercules; working our way through some clusters, nebulae and galaxies. Having viewed things such as the Ring, the Veil and the Dumbbell for the first time from my garden - I can tell you it was breathtaking.

One great find which was new to both of us was the elusive Crescent neb (NGC6888) - quite difficult to find and see. It was so faint that at times I wondered whether or not it was just my imagination!

As an aside,I thought that it was a great excercise to find something reasonably faint, then deliberately lose it to try and find it again, to, I suppose, test the method of locating the object, and test that it was really there - if that makes sense :)

As the night progressed we moved on to the eastern quarter, taking in Perseus, Andromeda and Auriga (so many clusters!)

As is that wasn't enough (and after a cup of tea and four jaffa cakes), the best was saved 'til last in my opinion - the Great neb in Orion. Goodness me, looking at that was dream-like. I was astounded at the detail and did not at all expect the colours to be so vivid. I am really looking forward to when Orion is higher in the sky later on in the year!

To finish off before the high cloud rolled in at about 04:00, we saw Io appear around from the back of Jupiter and took in the rising crescent moon through Foundaplanet's frac - another sight to behold.

All told, an excellent night then, with 25 Messiers and a scattering of NGCs.

must admit my local dealer who got it direct from skywatcher came round with it and when i saw it unpacked i thought jeez its a cannon... was i worried about the wifes reaction..HELL YES, luckily fo me shes fine with it and even has a gaze at the planets.. phew panic over

Archived