Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dslr and Planets.

NIGHTBOY

Now when it comes to photos of planet using dslrs you could write what I know on the back of a stamp with lots of room to spare...

I'm thinking of getting a dslr as I want to use it for other things as well at attaching it to my 200p dob (yes I've heard the're not the best for images)

Can you even zoom in on the images as the lens is off the camera when attached to the scope???

Can decent images be captured without the scope tracking???

I dont have access to it right now, but i once took a great single second image of Jupiter with a DSLR on a fixed tripod. 

I really dont know because ive never attached a camera to a scope,but i think MAYBE it might be possible to use the 5x or 10x optical zoom function on the camera because that is an internal function in the settings rather then anything to do with the lens.

In saying all this,the best way to image planets through a scope is by using a webcam. You do really need tracking to get the best images,but not impossible without.

As you know,Dobs and imaging are not the best bed partners....................but still doable to a degree. Just takes time and practise.

P.S.~~~when imaging with a camera attached to a scope, the telescope becomes the camera lens.

I use a Canon 1100d DSLR - attached to my 200p Dob with a t-ring. However with this arrangement the magnification is static.

You can also attach the camera to a threaded Barlow to increase the magnification.

Another option is to purchase an XBOX web cam and mod it... that works well for planets.

Check out my website - all images are with my DSLR, some attached to the 200p Dob and some just using the Nifty Fifty Lens... although currently more constellations that planets.

Jupiter + webcam

my setup

Shout if you have any questions.

It's theoretically possible to get enough magnification to get a decent planetary image with a dSLR, however the odds are against you from the beginning. The apparent size of a planet is so tiny, that you need to be hitting a a focal length of over 6m (6000mm) to get a good amount of detail. And you want a reasonable shutter speed with low ISO, which, once you get up to that level of magnification, is not going to happen. It's much easier to use a webcam type camera (SPC900 used to be the best available option) or similar. With the size of the sensor, compared to that of the SLR, and the higher frame rates you can achieve, mean that capturing 1000-2000 frames is much simpler. This helps overcome the atmospherics (seeing).

Using an SLR on your dob will allow you to get some decent images of the moon however.

I've seen some quite acceptable images of Jupiter taken with recent EOS cameras in video mode.  As John says though, you need a fair bit of focal length and that does make it very tricky to use a manual dob whatever camera you're using.

James

It's theoretically possible to get enough magnification to get a decent planetary image with a dSLR, however the odds are against you from the beginning. The apparent size of a planet is so tiny, that you need to be hitting a a focal length of over 6m (6000mm) to get a good amount of detail.

But the pixel size in webcams and modern DSLRs is very similar - so there is no scale advantage to using a webcam (in fact the SPC900 has larger pixels than the latest Canon cameras). Using a webcam is just like cropping out the centre of your DSLR image.

NigelM

But the pixel size in webcams and modern DSLRs is very similar - so there is no scale advantage to using a webcam (in fact the SPC900 has larger pixels than the latest Canon cameras). Using a webcam is just like cropping out the centre of your DSLR image.

NigelM

Agree regarding the pixel size.  Having the smaller frame helps in terms of capture rate too though, but I imagine if you're worrying about frame rates then you're probably well on the way to RGB imaging anyhow :)

James

Archived