M27 - Dumbell search

It took me 17 years to find it... Once you do find it, you wonder how you missed it, but I always found the location slightly obscure. It's visible from suburban London though so pretty bright.

The method using Sagitta works well. A good wide field of view is also handy - it will take a lot of magnification when you find it.

Best of luck!

DD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took me 17 years to find it... Once you do find it, you wonder how you missed it, but I always found the location slightly obscure. It's visible from suburban London though so pretty bright.

The method using Sagitta works well. A good wide field of view is also handy - it will take a lot of magnification when you find it.

Best of luck!

DD

Funnily enough, i had a similar experience with M1 - could not find it in a 6" telescope for a few years and one night casually found it with a little 90 mak.     So stick with it !  Just scan around gamma sagittae about 3 deg above.

andrew

Funnily enough, i had a similar experience with M1 - could not find it in a 6" telescope for a few years and one night casually found it with a little 90 mak. So stick with it ! Just scan around gamma sagittae about 3 deg above.

andrew

Ditto! Took me years, I'm the end it just needed a dark sky and some binos!

Stu

SpecialK, I've seen our skies deepen of late with greater views for sure. Living 10 miles out of Montreal I do have an orange-ish glow to the north along with our suburban street lights, again orangey ( damn!). Like many members here, I put up with conditions which ( to me) are decent. To escape I'd need to drive 60 miles west to our capital ( Ottawa ) or south to the U.S Adirondack mountains. As it is, I LOVE this hobby of astronomy!

Archived