Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Remote" viewing options

Manok101

If you have the camera/ telescope etc connected to your "local" laptop then you can use something like Teamviewer (freeware for individuals) to "remotely" control your laptop, view the images and control the scope etc.

I use it with an ATiK314 which under AstroArtV5 images my spectra, the telescope and mount (NEQ6pro) being controlled via the Synscan controller to PC and a Lodestar/ PHD for guiding.

Hope this helps.

Easy enough a club here does it often enough.

Basically Goto scope, camera, laptop, software as well as the normal power requirements.

One catch is that if the goto is not 100% accurate and the tracking also then you spend a good proportion of the time going in and out to tweek the position. So the initial data and setup are critical.

Entirely possible. (see above)  :)

The first task is to get a working system "locally". Typically, this means MOUNT and CAMERA control via a LapTop. ;)

It is then trivial to remotely control a (reasonable performing) Laptop via "TeamViewer" - The way most astronomers do it!

Alternatively, in typical amateur observatory setting, you can TRY (currently under evaluation here) to control all this

directly from a Desktop machine - From the comfort of your "living room" (lounge, parlour, whatever)!  :p

The latter requires a bit more thought... More "cables" - Often a *pukka* (long!) USB 2.0 link? But avoids leaving (accommodating) a PC or Laptop at the "remote" (cold, damp) end. But, in short, the answer is a firm / fun "YES".   :D

i`ve done it using windows xp pro`s remote desktop connection, over the internet, there`s a second delay in giving a command on the house computer to the obsy computer,

one thing is that the screen resolution is not as good when using this method, don`t know if it`s the same using team viewer or not.

With Teamviewer I can stand in the queue at Tesco and see the last image I took on Artemis on my phone, which is cool when you have to pop out to get milk etc. It also handles twin screens so I can have Artemis images and PhD graph on one, with CDC and EQMOD on the other. Teamviewer runs on android, Windows, Mac and iPad and it's free for home use.

I often have family and friends looking, and thought there might be something that would aid in letting everyone see at the same time. Thanks, any specific camera that would do? Could you just say, rig a dslr to a scope, then connect it to the PC and view that way somehow or is it a special camera needed for viewing things live?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I often have family and friends looking, and thought there might be something that would aid in letting everyone see at the same time. Thanks, any specific camera that would do? Could you just say, rig a dslr to a scope, then connect it to the PC and view that way somehow or is it a special camera needed for viewing things live?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

For viewing things live, your best off with a webcam and it will only really show bright objects such as planets. And to get details, you will need to 'stack' pictures using software. This must be done offline.

Even a supersensitive CCD, such as my 314, needs long exposures and image processing.

Archived