Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Satellites in formation?

About 8:40 this evening I was taking a quick look at Andromeda through my 15x70 binocular when I noticed two star-like points of light moving south-east across the sky. I couldn't estimate their magnitude but they were too faint to be seen with the naked eye. I observed them for about a minute as they moved across the sky at constant speed and the thing I found most striking was that they appeared to hold perfect formation throughout this period with one trailing the other in the direction of their motion. I would say that the separation of the two was on the order of about one degree.

I am assuming these were satellites but I have never seen two moving across the sky together like this before. I would welcome any comments or suggestions as to what they may have been.

You can get mini fleets of satellites at times, 3 or 4 together some of them are US military spy satellites and I guess the US are not alone in this. If they can't be tracked back to a known satellite then they are likely military.

Thanks for all the replies. I was just a little surprised because I've never seen satellites flying in formation like this before but it seems that its not that uncommon. Glad to hear that I haven't started seeing little green men anyway. :shocked:

I found Andromeda today for the first time with 25mm 50 degree eyepience on 150/750 and not a moment later i saw a light passing just above the galaxy moving North, amazed by the sight, just few moments later i found my self staring for a moment at 5 V shaped lights moving South this time at double the speed of the first light. It happend between 21:30-21:39 Danish time.

Archived