Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Something to look for tonight... UK

NIGHTBOY

I've had enough of looking at the moon now so I'm wondering if there's anything people are going to be looking for tonight???? I have a good south and west view from my garden..

Any hours tonight as it's not a school night!

Anyone out searching the skies tonight??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame you don't fancy a tad more of the Moon, for you could always continue hunting out a little more of the 101. Langrenus and its ancient rays, Mare Crisium and Petavius will reveal majestic sites if only viewed for a few minutes. Anyway, this week I've had a nice time hunting out Neptune and Uranus and splitting doubles. It's another marvelous day today and I fancy heading out tonight but I think I owe my girlfriend a night out (I'll set the alarm for 5am though and have a peek and sketch of Jupiter. Hehehe) :grin: .

While you're on, other iPhone apps that I use are:

Polar align

Scope help

Iss visibility

Sky safari (including a nice 'tonight's best' list under the search. And if you pay, will control your mount if you buy either a skyfi or skywire connector)

I like 'sky survey' too as it is an all sky photo rather than artificial star maps - which is nice - but that is best on iPad - it's a bit small on iPhone.

I'm going to have a crack at Andromeda tonight, should be visable around 11/12pm if I'm correct???

Andromeda never sets, it just gets a bit low to the horizon. It should be in the eastern sky at sunset, just behind those clouds and straight on for about 2.5 million light years.

Yes according to Stellarium it should be visible from my back garden around 11/12pm, way above the moon. I've never seen it but I'm told it's pretty cool.

The moon will mostly wash it out tonight. Worth looking at it tonight, then again on a moonless night and compare what you see.

If you're looking in the right place and can't see M31 then it means your sky is too bright - from light pollution or the moon or both. Try again on a darker night or at a darker place. At a dark site it's an easy naked-eye object, but in a bright sky it can be impossible. (The sky may look black, but that's only because your eye is dazzled by ambient light - the test is to find your naked-eye limiting magnitude, for example by examining the stars of Ursa Minor).

Archived