NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lose the Skyliner finder scope all together?

I've got a Rigel quick finder coming and after looking at a few pics of peoples 200p dobs I'm wondering if I should of gone for the telrad and get rid of the stock finder all together?? I bought the Rigel as I didn't think there would be space foe the telrad but when you lose the finder scope there clearly is...

Does anyone use a quick finder and the normal finder scope on their dob??? I'd like to roughly line things up with the quick finder, then centre it bang on with the finder scope as I've set it more accurate than a gun scope!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a dob, but I use quick finders quite often. I use a Telrad on my C11 accompanied with a RACI finder, and a Baader Sky Surfer V on the refractors - with/without optical finder. Sometimes I swap them around though.

If I'm star hopping I tend not to use the optical finder -which includes 70% of the time. However, sometime I need to use the optical finder to get a faint object in the eyepiece. For instance, M81 and M82 on high magnification require that I use an optical finder.

even on my 6" scope a telrad and finder work ok

I usually put the telrad (in your case rigel which will work well too) between the focuser and optical but usually a bit further forward. in fact just found this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/76499-ongoing-mods-on-my-orion-optics-uk-6-f11-planetary-dobsonian/ I used to have a rigel on my 6" scope.

I want to put it just to the left of the finder scope but because of the black front end of the scope, it creates a small step so if I was to stick it there it would be slanting up slightly, would this matter or does it need to be dead parallel with the scope??

I want to put it just to the left of the finder scope but because of the black front end of the scope, it creates a small step so if I was to stick it there it would be slanting up slightly, would this matter or does it need to be dead parallel with the scope??

The closer to parallel you can get the finder scope to the tube the less adjustment you will need when aligning.

a telrad is about 4x bigger than a Rigel. I tend to use the back edge of the black band as a straight edge and put the rigel/telrad base right against in (the back edge lip) to ensure accurate placement. wait until it comes and then try as you are guessing otherwise. it will fit I am sure of it.

I know it's a cost saving issue, but a raci as standard on the skyliner would be lovely.

I'd change mine, but the standard finder isn't actually that bad and the PanaView is a pretty good finder anyway.

@emad: the plastic flower should be fitted as standard too!

Cheers

Archived