Sketching the night sky

Hi all,

I've recently bought a scope (Celestron 127 Mak), and am thinking about trying to sketch what I see and start a kind of journal (I'd love to start astrophotography, but I'm some way off being able to afford the kind of gear to get started). Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to sketch, or the kind of kit that I might need?

Thanks,

CJ

Are you aiming to sketch planetary and lunar observations?

If so then try doing some dry runs by sketching from photos so as to get your hand and eye in.

I have the feeling that some of images in Turn Left at Orion were hand drawn. They would give you some ideas on DSO's.

Good luck and do post them.

Hi all,

I've recently bought a scope (Celestron 127 Mak), and am thinking about trying to sketch what I see and start a kind of journal (I'd love to start astrophotography, but I'm some way off being able to afford the kind of gear to get started). Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to sketch, or the kind of kit that I might need?

Thanks,

CJ

theres also some examples and info on this sub forum   http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/21-imaging-sketches-and-unconventional/

I recall a dedicated website with tutorials and examples of sketches which was excellent , however I cant remember the sites name ?? perhaps someone else can help.

I look with envy at the Sketching section in Sky@NIght magazine each month, chubby stumps are about my artistic limit, might be worth a look.

Next month (October issue) Carol is sketching Uranus (I jest not), probably not something to attempt in public!

Cheers

Hi there, a white drawing pad and also a black Canford type pad for finished work here: http://www.greatart.co.uk/index.php?stoken=EF91F1FD&force_sid=580qt92cqo4694ob7m0bdooj47〈=0&cl=antidot_search&searchparam=canford  A good set of graphite pencils, HB, 2B, and 4B to start.  Some pastels, perhaps a set, but you will use more black & white here: http://www.greatart.co.uk/Pastels-Pencils/Pastels/Soft-Hard-Pastel-Sets/  Plus write down everything you sketch, time of sketching and magnifications used etc. I have used Great Art for sometime and they are pretty good.

Thanks for the advice and links - there is some great stuff in there. I've picked up some pencils, a sketch book along with some stuff that the Sky at Night magazine artist uses (blending stump and putty rubber etc.) I drew some nice circles in my pad ready for an observing/sketching session on Saturday night, preferably for lunar/planetary work, but quite prepared to do some fuzzies or clusters if the chance arose, only for my powered mount to run out of batteries (note to self - invest in a power-pack!), meaning I was constantly adjusting by hand, so I gave up on the sketching for the night. On the plus side, I did stay up late enough to get my first planetary observation with the scope of Jupiter, which was a fantastic sight, even though it raced across the FOV almost as fast as I could adjust..... :grin:  Literally a "wow" moment!! hopefully, I'll have spare batteries or a power tank next time!!

Archived