SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Videoastronomy on eq platform?

Schorhr

First tests, no tracking, just the 130p dobsonian on my balcony, light polution so bad I can't even see Lyra completely.

Tracking and finding things via monitor is as hard as expected, but possible.

Longer sense-up/exposure of course results in long stars and egg-shaped ring nebula ;-)

Here a few frames/snapshots.

alb_3.png

alb_2.png

alb_0.jpg

Without IR filter the stars seem a bit bright/burning into the image. I am sure my CLS filter may help, also reducing the sharpness setting in the camera.

Despite this issue a hint of Albireo's colors are visible.

Of course 64x Sense-Up worked better without tracking at 650mm focal length then 512x ;-)

If I take the image of the ring nebula and enhance gamma/contrast by maximum, I do get a "dot" in some frames, I would guess this is a hint of the central star perhaps...

Incredible what's possible in 5", I can't wait to use it with tracking.

A few frames from the ring nebula and such

RingNebel_1.png

RingNebel_0.png

RingNebel2.jpg

RingNebel_3.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marcus I always start with X64 and go or down to find best quality.. took this photo with a small compact camera on a cheap low resolution 7inch monitor, I think the quality would of been much better if I grabbed it off a laptop. but I was only testing it out.

post-24363-0-35731700-1380760894_thumb.j

Just a bit as I had little time yesterday, looked finde on trees outside the window.

It is on auto white balance; I recon I can change the color balance later anyway, I do need to read the Manual on reccomended Deepsky settings though as there's only little range in the under and overexposed areas (probably due to the stream compression of the USB video stick; And yes, I saved the frames as lossless compressed image files;

The stick's feed itself only has yuy2 and mpeg; So no lossless grabbing method possible.

It's a great little camera, I am sure with trackig I'll be able to capture some nice nebulae :-)

Amazing what is possible with affordable hardware.

I take no credit for this document, I found this on the net, and I just fill in the settings so next time I go to the same target I know what setting's to use. I made multi copies of it and keep it in a folder.

So try it out, it might save you a bit of time next time.

dso paper.xls

Hello everyone,

I am currently thinking about getting a pd camera for video/live observation and first steps in imaging.

Two questions: I have a SW Heritage 130/650 and I was wondering if the tracking of an eq platform would be sufficient?

As the pd camera is supposedly showing a similar field to a 6mm Plössl, I was also wondering if a reducer would make any sense on this telescope?

I know the heritage is not ideal, but when using a digital camera the shroud and focus adjusting via the extension rods worked well.

I do have a 10" open structure dobsonian, but having a grab and go setup would be nice. Perhaps later a 150/750 on eq mount would make more sense.

My fiancee has a 4" Maksutov, and I have a Astro3 mount, but I have not hooked up a motor yet, and the Mak"s long focal length would probably limit it's use, even with a focal reducer due to the 1.25' focuser and secondary mirror size.

The h130p would already push the Astro3 to it's limits, so I think sooner or later a new mount would be needed...

I have been following this post with interest (I have just bought a PD1 camera) - just to confirm  did you actually finally purchase a PD1 or did you choose another make? I have had a look through the thread and just couldn't seem to find a definite confirmation.

Great first screen grabs from a light polluted site. I will look out for Alberio and compare my results.

Hello Nibor,

yes, I have bought it (and posted a few frames above without tracking) :-)

(I posted somewhere that I ordered it above the image post, I think- sorry for the confusion :-) )

What mount and telescope will you use?

Good luck with your pictures, I am sure you can beat a manually-operated-Heritage-near-a-street-light easily! :-)

Hello Nibor,

yes, I have bought it (and posted a few frames above without tracking) :-)

(I posted somewhere that I ordered it above the image post, I think- sorry for the confusion :-) )

What mount and telescope will you use?

Good luck with your pictures, I am sure you can beat a manually-operated-Heritage-near-a-street-light easily! :-)

Hi,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion re your camera model - I probably misunderstood a post somewhere!!

I am planning to attach my camera to my Orion (US) ED 80 (S/W clone) and mainly use my S/W AZ GOTO mount.

I have currently also been doing some daylight experiments with my S/W Mak 127 - looking particularly at the maximum field of view I can achieve using focal reducers and an extension tube - see the following link:-

http://www.365astronomy.com/ts-05x-focal-reducer-with-125-inch-filter-thread-p-3092.html

(Scroll down to "useful additional equipment") - the tube seems reduce the reducer!!

I am currently awaiting delivery of the tube so currently I can't comment on its effectiveness.

Oh so you have the mount allready, can you make any statements about how stable it is? Perhaps with the Mak, as it has a similar weight to the h130p?

I was unable to find video footage of deepsky targets filmed on the Az SC GoTo Mount :-/

I know the 130/650 is probably on the far side due to weight and length, but I hope I can make it work.

I am looking at that reducer as well, though import it directly for 19€/16gbp (so tax/duty free).

Yes, the reducer extension tubes seems to be a neat way to achieve different fields, though I probably won't need less then 650->325mm focal length.

Good luck with your projects!

Oh so you have the mount allready, can you make any statements about how stable it is? Perhaps with the Mak, as it has a similar weight to the h130p?

I was unable to find video footage of deepsky targets filmed on the Az SC GoTo Mount :-/

I know the 130/650 is probably on the far side due to weight and length, but I hope I can make it work.

I am looking at that reducer as well, though import it directly for 19€/16gbp (so tax/duty free).

Yes, the reducer extension tubes seems to be a neat way to achieve different fields, though I probably won't need less then 650->325mm focal length.

Good luck with your projects!

Schorhr,

Skywatcher do sell the Mak 127 and GOTO as a package so they must have some reason to believe that the combination does work - at least for visual use.

I upgraded my S/W GOTO mount by fitting EQ3/2 legs (the same as the S/W AltAz tripod and mount) - this was done without too much difficulty. I also use Celestron anti vibration pads and load the eyepiece tray with about 9KG of counterweight. My Mak is quite a heavy scope as it is fitted with tube rings - with a diagonal and Celestron zoom eyepiece weighs in at about 5Kg.

I have just daylight tested the above set up and from a slight eyepiece tap with a finger the scope settles down within one second which I suppose isn't too bad. I find that the movement in my AZ GOTO set up seems to come mainly from the backlash on the mount.

I did try my ED80 (4Kg) and Equinox 66 (2.4 Kg) - both loaded with diag and zoom eyepiece and did find a slight improvement as the weight went down. 

I do have the option of using my CG 5 GT mount for greater stability but the AZ GOTO is so quick to set up!!

My observing site is from a balcony which I must admit is not the most vibration free of platforms but it is the only way I can get decent views of the southern skies.

For DSO interest I like to try and observe the objects (when they allow) in a 1 degree FOV as it corresponds exactly with most the illustrations which appear in "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" (DIY Science Series). I use these to confirm observation targets. Hence my interest in the reducer extension tubes.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

thanks, that does help!

The h130p with camera and adapter weighs almost 3.5kg/7.7lbs so I hope it will work :-)

Does it vibrate a lot durring tracking?

I haven't tried the Mak 127 with the PD camera tracking at night yet -  and I am still generally finding my feet with the camera / scope and mount combinations.

Once I have a better idea of the Mak's vibration performance on the AZ GOTO I will let you know. AZ GOTO's do seem to come up quite frequently as preloved mounts and may be worth a trial - although I have a suspicion that better results will be obtained by using an equatorial mount with tracking.

Once I have a better idea of the Mak's vibration performance on the AZ GOTO I will let you know. AZ GOTO's do seem to come up quite frequently as preloved mounts and may be worth a trial - although I have a suspicion that better results will be obtained by using an equatorial mount with tracking.

My personal feeling is that the MAK127 is quite near the LIMIT of the typically-accompanying Skywatcher AZ GoTo. :p

I have "been through" two. One had a WEAK motor (I scrapped it!). The other was much better, but I still sold it on!

Then there was the Ioptron MiniTower Mk.I - Maybe one day I will find a buyer? lol. The Mk.II seems viable though. :)

No lover of Equatorial Mounts, but my HEQ5 "Does the Biz"? Sometimes TINA?

(There is no alternative) But I still cannot help but wish there was... ;)

I wish my budget was higher, but after all the helpful posts and some private messages too, I hope that the mount will do it when the tripod legs arre retracted and some weight to the center is added.

Every mount larger would cause trouble when transporting it by backpack with all the other stuff.

The return policy/laws here in Germany are quite customer friendly, so there's little risk in trying and returning.

If it fails I'll have to consider a neq3 or some day buy a neq5, but the latter is too heavy and even the neq3 too expensive atrm in the goto version.

I just had an idea.

Nexstar slt with 127mm Mak sells for 444€ here, so for the telescope itself that's about 200€ when calculating with the skywatcher mount, 150€ when calculating with the single slt mount, instead of the 300€ or something it costs alone!

Same with the skywatcher 102mm Mak goto set for 379€,

ota usualy costs 206€, so calculating the cheapest SW goto mount price 232€, that's 137€ for the ota.

I could just buy the set and sell the ota!?

Having trouble sleeping gives me the strangest ideas.

Buying a tripod / mount / OTA set and selling off the bits not required is certainly an option - this is how I acquired my Celestron CG5 GOTO mount. A complete set was bought by a fellow SGL member who only wanted the scope - he advertised the mount and I bought it.

He got a less expensive OTA and I got a much reduced price brand new GOTO - a win / win!!

You are, of course, gambling that you can sell the bits you don't need - and remember to factor in any postal costs.

Just a quick update on the S/W AZ GOTO mount and use with video camera, cables etc............

Tonight I tried my Mak 127 and My ED80 and found that on video observing there was a definite tendency for the targets to "fall out of the bottom" of the monitor screen. I am pretty sure that this was because I was unable to obtain a decent balance of the scopes on their present dovetails and that the alt motor was probably not up to handling the extra weight at the "eyepiece" end. This resulted in drive slippage and the scope pointing ever skywards. My Equinox 66 faired much better but was not perfect. Something to bear in mind when using this mount. 

Perhaps a longer dovetail may provide a better balance point - or perhaps a counter balance on the dewshield end? - I did try and manage the cables to minimise drag and this did help a bit.

Has anyone else found this as well - any suggestions??

Thanks for the update,

sorry to hear that...

On a german forum I read about taking off the cover and tightening screws,

"The friction cluth was set too soft, even bumping the eyepiece with my eyebrow caused it to slip; ... Tighten the nut in the center of the dovetail clamp" (or something like that.

here is a google translated version

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.astronomie.de%2Fphpapps%2Fubbthreads%2Fubbthreads.php%2Fubb%2Fprintthread%2FBoard%2F2%2Fmain%2F83582%2Ftype%2Fthread

Also check out

http://www.astronomyforum.net/skywatcher-telescopes-forum/93471-skywatcher-synscan-az-goto-mount-celestron-slt-gt-az-mount-accuracy.html

Sorry for my weak translation, I am kind of tired, ... a long day! :-)

Now I am trying to find out if the NexStar SLT mount is as rigid as the Sky-Watcher Az SynScan,... saw the Celestron NexStar beeing sold cheaply today...

Archived