SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Videoastronomy on eq platform?

Schorhr

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schorhr, Davy,

thanks for the suggestions

Translation software is pretty good!! - I've used it on a couple of occasions. I have done the big nut tightening job - but may have to open it up for further investigation - I hadn't noticed any issues on regular eyepiece observing - even with weighty Celestron Zoom eyepiece - I reckon it's the extra length of the camera assembly and cable drag which tips the balance.

I hope you can sort it out! :-)

Perhaps attach a wooden rod/stick (such as for gardening) to the side, and guide the cables from above, so the drag is reduced?

I don't know how to explain it better, perhaps you get what I mean :-)

I still can't find much about the NexStar mount, but the deal ends soon :-(

how did you go about balancing your scope?

I had problems with my SW az goto, clutch slipping so I tightened it up a bit, but the bushes [ washer ] are a poor design and it comes loose over time so I used locktite to lock the nut up and that has helped. There is a mod that can be done by replacing that funny looking washer with a needle roller bearing and flat washer and a new nylock nut.

The way I went about balancing the scope was to load the scope up with all the tackle attached to it. I sawed  about a foot off a brush handle and placed it on a bench then place the scope on top of it and just rolled the scope over it, just like them circus people do when they stand on a plank and a barrel underneath and they balance themselves on the plank, [ I know it sound daft but I couldn't think of another way of doing it. ]

Then I mark the dovetail bar with some tipp-ex, where I think the centre of gravity is.  and put it up to the mount and align the mark with the saddle locking bolt.

Another way, maybe easier, is to slacken off the clutch and adjust it like you would do with a eq mount ,put a mark on  the bar remove the scope and retighten the nut up but then you would have to re apply the nocktite

Johnno,

Thanks for your suggestions - I am thinking that an extra long dovetail bar may be the answer to find the balance point I need:-

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

The 33mm version should give me the necessary room for manoeuvre  - I will need to check the potential balance point - the garden broom better look out!!

Just a quick update on my issue with an unbalanced scope set up...........

Last night I had a great session with my PD1 Astro Video camera - linked to my Orion (US) ED80 mounted on my S/W AZ GOTO.

I had checked the balance point with the camera attached and I also tested that the tracking worked with an eyepiece - all OK!!

On fitting the camera and slewing to a new object the slippage problem appeared to start again (stars falling off the bottom the screen! or this time moving either east or west!) - BUT this time I waited a bit longer and the image began to settle down and remain stable!!

I am beginning to think that the problem was that the camera's video integration system lags behind its slewing.

Any thoughts?

Suffice to say that last night, after learning to wait until the image settled, the system tracked excellently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, did you get it sorted? I somehow missed the reply here.

I did not manage to go to the field, so just from the balcony again- 3-star-alignment failed, 1-star worked but tracking was mediocre at best, plus LP... But the Goto was more accurate then I had expected, M15 was still in the view even with the simple alignment.

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6//pd-m15-m77-col.png

I hope I can finally get some good images when I get out to the field next time. But it's better then nothing.

Hello, did you get it sorted? I somehow missed the reply here.

I did not manage to go to the field, so just from the balcony again- 3-star-alignment failed, 1-star worked but tracking was mediocre at best, plus LP... But the Goto was more accurate then I had expected, M15 was still in the view even with the simple alignment.

http://www.ringohr.de/tmp6//pd-m15-m77-col.png

I hope I can finally get some good images when I get out to the field next time. But it's better then nothing.

Following more trials with the scope and mount it does seem that I just need to be just a little patient and it settles down nicely - I sometimes need to recentralise the target. The key seems to be to use a low a "sens up" as possible.

Encouraging images tho'  - as an aside I am beginning to wonder if it would be helpful for VA - ers to include a short note about the software they use - anyone any thoughts?

Yeah it needs a while to settle but at least at 650mm fl it seems calm enough...

I use sharpcap as it's the only one I have tried (and actually for stopmotion purpouses) :-)

Just adjusted Gamma in Irfan Viewer.

Can't wait to try it with less light pollution --- and a precise alignment :-)

Archived