Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader LRGB filters

neil groves

I just took a look at these and noticed they are very expensive, since we are dealing with objects a long way off, would you notice the difference between these and cheaper versions?

Neil.

The biggest adavantage they have is that they are ParFocal, once you focus with the L filter it should be good enough for the rest of them, otherwise is a long process adjusting focus between filters, they are also optically flat. If you think these are expensive have a look at the Astrodon filters but hold on to a chair or something before you do so.

A.G

The Baader CCD filters are very good build quality, with surfaces polished to 1/4 wavelength accuracy and fully planar, so they give maximum resolution. The coatings are super tough so will last for many years.

They are parfocal, so little or no refocussing is required between filters changes and are supposed have the same colour weighting, so you should get more even exposure lengths for correct colour balance (doesn't work like that in my experience, but I have other filters in line and CCD chips vary in their sensitivity at different wavelengths anyway).

What really sets them apart from cheaper coloured glass adsorptive filters is that they have sharply defined wavelength passbands, rather than gently curving/overlapping transmission curves. This gives very high colour contrast and separation. They have a slight gap between the green and red transmission curves so that unwanted light from mercury and sodium streetlights is excluded.

CCD cameras are very sensitive to IR so the Baader CCD filters also include an IR blocking coating (except the 'C' filter which passes IR).

Yes...they are worth it :D

I have to ask, very expensive compared to what? Astronomik, Astrodon?

The Baaders are considered by many to be a bargain, but you could always try quality street wrappers - no seriously, I've sometimes thought about having a go with these, after all, you tweak the hues and luminance in post processing anyway. My last Ha/Oiii composite ended up brown and purple.

I have to ask, very expensive compared to what? Astronomik, Astrodon?

The Baaders are considered by many to be a bargain, but you could always try quality street wrappers - no seriously, I've sometimes thought about having a go with these, after all, you tweak the hues and luminance in post processing anyway. My last Ha/Oiii composite ended up brown and purple.

I was coming to that, in photoshop you can use any colour you like and use a blend mode.

Neil.

If you think these are expensive have a look at the Astrodon filters but hold on to a chair or something before you do so.

A.G

I did but the shock made me break the chair and fall off!!

In all seriousness, the Baader set of filters is awesome. I have 2" versions of their LRGB set and then also the S-II, H-a(7nm) and O-III. I love every single one of them!

Baader LRGB filters are a good mid price filter. I've seen some images taken with RGB Astrodons and I didn't like the colour as much as with the Baaders. When you come to NB though, do not scrimp on the filters the 3nm Astrodons are sublime.

You can't just make things up in Photoshop. Well, you can, but they will just be made up.

As the others have said, the upper end Baaders are the best in class by far. In fact I've imaged twice with the Astrodon RGB set and didn't get on with it. Maybe it was lack of familiarity but I found balancing the colours towards the blue end very tricky. I like the Baader LRGB and am not looking to change for the moment.

As Sara says, the very narrow bandpass narrowband filters from Astrodon are insanely expensive and insanely good. It's her fault that I parted with a thousand dollars to buy one!

Olly

Archived