NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help - What Next

Well, it happened. Tripped over dog in the dark falling on top of my eq5 mount causing serious damage, non repairable. 150p is safe.

So now after advice as to a replacement. I was considering another eq5 but with goto, or a 200p on an eq5, or a 250px flextube.

What is peoples recommendation, are there any benefits?

Cheers.

If you were on grass then I can't see it being beyond repair - there's always spare parts to be had - or some of the smaller traders could do the EQ5 up for you. If it was on concrete though you may end up having to sell it for spares.

If you're into visual only then there's a lot of mileage to be had from a 200P or 250P dob depending on your budget. Hth :)

I had'nt even go to setting up. I was carrying out mount to patio area and the OTA was still in doors, wife let dog out, then dog ran into my legs, wham bang all fall down. Mount hit the patio first, then I crash straight down on top. At 17stone, it didn't stand a chance.

One mount leg folded in two, one is twisted. The flange by the latitude bolts, one arm has sheared through, as has the top part of the head. So mount beyond economic repair.

Dog now resting having been to vets to have my boot removed from its r's.

Think I'd have the dog put down - and probably the wife too for letting him out lol :)

You can get goto dobs but I reckon you'd have to go for a 12" cos I don't think SW fit goto on the smaller models now. You could get a cheaper mount for the 150P - maybe a manual EQ3-2 or EQ4 from the second hand market and sell the complete setup to put the funds towards a dob (or just sell the OTA on it's own). But yes - a largest possible aperture dob would be perfect for any visual astronomer. :)

The question is for a budget of £550. Is 250px solid tube dobby, or the 250px flextube.

I could even go for a 200p on an eq5, but I'm leaning towards the flextube because it will store easier indoors. But I could also get an eq5 goto for 150p, then get 200p at later date.

Decisions, decisions.

Wheelchairs are great when around dogs. If the dog gets too close they get their paws run over. They quickly learn to move out of the way.

If imaging is not your thing then you dont need an EQ mount. This opens up the door for you to get a big Dob,if you can handle such a scope.

Many thanks for replies.

Checked weather forecast and noted it was going to be raining and cloudy for days, so thought no blame can be apportioned for ordering a R2D2 aka 250px flextube (manual) now.

Have bought the dog a huge bone as thank you for its assistance in breaking my eq5 mount, as it gave me justifiable reason to spend money without the wife moaning on, and on, and on, for months on end.

Happy days.

Already planning converting an old fishing trolley to transport tube around. I have one which used to take a large seatbox, so should be easy to mount a plywood base and line with foam.

Busy reading dob mods, so some tinkering might be in the cards.

Thanks for all the help.

Rgds

David

Archived