Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher NEQ-3 Pro SynScan GoTo Upgrade Kit

I've yet to see a goto setup in action but am considering this upgrade for some point in the not too distant future.

I have an SW 150/75o explorer on an EQ3-2 mount and really fancy the goto facility offered by this upgrade.

So my questions to anyone who has experience of this (or similar) upgrade:

1. Apart from a power supply, will I need any additional kit? E.g. will I need a laptop or similar to run it?

2. Am i right in assuming that once fitted all I need to do each outing is to locate and get a fix on 3 reference stars and then the rest is a question of selecting target, inputing and sitting back?

3. What happens if the motors try to drive the OTA into a tripod leg when the target is very high in the sky? Is there a failsafe or clutch for such occasions?

4. What kind of power supply comes in question? Could it for example be run from the battery of the car transporting the scope or would the drain flatten the battery in a short space of time leaving me stranded in the wilderness?!!!

5. Does the goto function without the need for a Latitude adjustment for my location (51° here in Germany) i.e. will it function if the mount latitude is set to 0°?

7. Is it best to set up the mount to Polaris - I have a polar scope fitted to my mount?

8. How easy is it to fit to the scope and set up? I would imagine it should be realatively easy.

8. Owt else of major importance I should know or be aware of before taking the plunge - this kit costs around 300 GBP here in Germany.

LOts of questions I know but all comments and advice will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Roger

To be honest, I think it makes more sense to sell the mount and buy the GOTO version rather than doing the upgrade yourself.

Here in the UK a second hand EQ3-2 must be worth in the region of £100. The EQ3-2 synscan is £388 and the upgrade kit is around £300. So selling the unmodified mount and buying the synscan version new might quite possibly be no different in price and save the faff of doing the mod.

Other than that:

1. No, you only need a laptop if you want to control the mount from a planetarium program or for guiding.

2. Mostly, yes, as long as you choose your alignment stars reasonably well.

3. There isn't. You need to look out for that.

4. The mount can be run from a car battery I believe but it's probably more common to use a powertank or just a deep cycle battery.

5. I assume it would work. I've always set mine to be approximately correct though.

6. Wot no 6?

7. I think it tends to be more accurate if your polar alignment is reasonable. It doesn't have to be spot on.

8. No idea about fitting.

8 again. See my initial point :)

James

i bout the syscan upgrade for my eq3-2 mount a month or so ago an works pretty well, followed a blog someone wrote with pics on how to install it, and was a doddle to fit. ive have had no problems with it since but like above maybe get the pro mount with it attached and save the trouble, i did my myself as to know how things go together an so an issues ive a small idea of how it works.

James F is right about going for the synscan mount ready built.

Adding motors and all the electronics is not really worth any small cost saving.

It could go horribly wrong. At least with the complete set-up you will have a guarantee.

I have the EQ3-2 synscan and it works a treat out the box.

I always do a polar alignment using the built in polar scope.... takes a couple of minutes (get Polarfinder..free software to position Polaris).... then a 2 star align and it will then get you pretty close or spot on your targets.

Archived