Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV102 S/H V ED120 New....Help

I am about to buy one of these scopes over the next 24 hours or so. There are factors to consider, build quality, optical quality and aperture. I have owned several 4 inch fracs so I understand the limitations. My primary interests are binary star system and planetary observation. I can pick up both scopes for around the same money but only have limited time to make up my mind. The ED120 has an extra 20mm of course which would be handy I keep telling myself, the only downside being that when I have, for example gone from say 8 to 10 inches in the past the extra light grasp proved a little underwhelming....I just don't know what to do...Help.

I've not had the pleasure of using a Tele Vue 102 but I do own both a Vixen ED102SS F/6.5 and a Skywatcher ED120 F/7.5 Pro. Optically speaking both are good quality refractors but there is a quite noticeable difference, in favour of the larger aperture scope, in terms of seeing planetary detail, splitting close binary stars and picking out deep sky objects. I'm sure the build quality of the TV 102 is superb and the optical quality will be very fine but the extra 20mm of the ED120 would still be more attractive to me at any rate.

Thanks John. Out of interest, and off topic I see you have a Istar 6 inch fl12 achro, very nice too. After seeing the other scopes you have I wondered what your rational was? Where have you hidden it BTW? (3 scope limits and all that)

It's standing in the corner of the dining room while I work out a more satisfactory mount for it. I've convinced my wife that it has a temporary exemption from the 3 scope limit on the grounds that it's a sort of experiment :rolleyes2:

As for the rationale, erm, I'm not sure even I can fully explain why. I guess I've just always wanted to own and use a really large, long, traditional refractor. so when a chance to do so came up I didn't think about it too much.

Archived