NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

carl zeiss binoculars

faulksy

If in good condition, those are excellent binos.

Depends what you can get them for of course..........

The main problem with any second hand binocular is the collimation. Much more difficult to sort out, because there are two optical trains to not only be aligned within themselves, but with the other barrel. They can be professionally repaired, but the cost is such that unless you get the bins for a bargain price, probably not worth it.

Sorry to sound negative, those CZ bins may be fine...........

Regards, Ed.

Of course, the ridiculous prices they go for on ebay dont help!

The last pair I had were slightly worn cosmetically but in reasonable optical condition and cost £30 from an dealer in abou 2004/5. Sold in about 2007 for the same.

Ebay prices regularly reach £200!

These are 25-30+ year old bins with god knows what history and no oportunity to try before buying.

Just not worth it.

People just seem to see Zeiss and auto matically think less than a grand is a good deal!

I picked up a pair of the Jenoptem 8x30's from a charity shop a couple of years ago for £20.00 with a leather case. They are the genuine article (having checked the above links) and I find them very nice birding binoculars. My pair are a bit tatty externally but the optics are clean and clear.

I should add, that the binoculars themselves are very nice.

But they were always the budget range for Zeiss and were popular for being decent quality at a decnt price.

Unless you get them for a sensible price however your money is better spent elsewhere.

Sadly the number of charity shop binoculars has fallen dramatically since the rise of Ebay.

There used to be some real bargains to be had and with added bonus of being able to check them out first!

A really timely thread for me, I have just been pondering the same question. Being too new at the game and with limited funds I am probably not going to compete in the fleabay race to oblivion! Still going to trawl a few charity shops though in the meantime :smiley:

Archived