NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

telescopes

hi i have a celestron powerseeker 127, with a 127mm reflector with accessories 20mm eyepiece, 4mm eyepiece, 3x barlow lens, if possible could i ask for everyones opinion on this telescope. i`m a novice at astronomy and using a telescope, so please opinions.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nemo,

Welcome aboard :clouds2:

The Celestron Powerseeker 127 is a fine starter scope; its 5" aperture and f8 focal ratio make it a good all-rounder. 

As with all starter scopes, the supplied eyepieces will be of low quality, particularly the 4mm, and the barlow is quite useless.  But, these are easily upgraded and doing so will improve the viewing immensely. 

Hopefully, we will have some clear skies soon and you will have an opportunity to use it. 

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Steve

Well, depends on what you mean by 'make it better'?

You could attach motors to the two axis to enable you to track objects (about £30 per motor), or invest in better optical quality eyepieces (there are discussion on this topic elsewhere).

It's a good scope to start with though, 5" of aperture will allow you to see plenty of objects and lots of detail on planets. I would probably go the optics route first as that is likely to have the biggest impact.

No doubt others will offer additional sage advice....

Hi Nemo,

You are not restricted to using Celestron eyepieces, there are two sizes of eyepiece 1.25" and 2" and your scope can use the 1.25" type from any manufacturer. The bottom line, as with many things, is how much do you want to spend?

Gaz

Meade Series 3000 Plossls can still be picked up for £30; Series 4000 Plossls are readily available for £50.  Either would be better than your current eyepieces. 

There are others of course and I feel sure other members will suggest alternatives,

Hope that helps,

Steve

A 5" aperture will show you loads:

Saturn and its rings

Weather bands on Jupiter and several of its moons

Pleiades (Seven Sisters)

Orion Nebula

Globular clusters

Stunning images of the moon

And thats just for starters :clouds2:

Where will Saturn be later tonight?

This should help:

image.jpg

Its about 40 degrees above the horizon.  Hold a clenched fist against the sky (arm outstretched), the width of your fist = approx 10 degrees so count four fist widths above the horizon).  Look also for a cluster of stars just above Saturn (looks like a smudge with the naked eye); thats the Beehive cluster.  

Steve :clouds2:

Hi Nemo,

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. As Skyguy says don't stick with one make of accesories - I have all sorts in my box.

3. Don't be afraid to post all sorts of questions.

4. Enjoy your scope and get used to getting the most out of what you've got.

Greg

Archived