I feel sorry for Pegasus

Stargazer_00

I was out last night and during my obseration it occured to me that I hadn't been viewing anything in a certain portion of the sky.

I looked it up in my trusty S&T Pocket Sky Atlas back page as Pegasus and moved to the appropriate page, Map 72 I think.

What a boring, barren area of the sky. With only 1 or 2 extremely small and faint galaxies out of my reach this is a real disappointment with telescopic observation. no doubles, no nebula, no globulars, no open clusters, barely any galaxies.

I don't think there is a worse page in the book, I felt mildly sorry for it!

I think that they also decided to allocate one of the corner stars of Pegasus to Andromeda alone, it was shared.

So Pegasus lost a star and I suppose that means the Great Square of Pegasus is no longer strictly a square any more.

I know when they took the Hubble deep field image they picked the most barren piece of sky they could find and still found about 3000 distinct galaxies inside 2.5 arcminutes (about the area of sky covered by a tennis ball 100 meters away).

So get yourself a space telescope and I'm sure Pegasus becomes a lot more interesting.

Actually, the Blue Snowball might really be in Andromeda. I always think of it in terms of its position relative to Pegasus though. There is a smattering of galaxies even within the square, but they are all quite faint, it's true. It did get a comet a while back though :)

James

It's tragic that something some dominating in the sky contains so little to look at through a terestial telescope at night.

Maybe that's it's charm? It's meant to be viewed with naked eyes dominating the sky where, compared to those around it, it is a titan, a giant, and quite beautiful.

M15 is indeed beautiful but it's on the opposite page in S&T PA to the one I'm referring to :) I guess that's specifically what I'm referring to rather than the entire constellation which is bigger than the page. I feel sorry for that page in the book perhaps!

Archived