NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bright DSO-Great Night!More Veil.....

jetstream

Had a great,but short viewing session-all my stuff got dew soaked,drying it out now.M31,Double Cluster visible easily visible naked eye,so I knew things would be good.M33-Triangulum galaxy bright at 39x-best I have ever seen it.M31 was bright & HUGE,great view in my 16mm Nagler,best here too.But what I saw in between the Veil Nebula surprised me....I saw a faint portion of more nebulosity between the 2 Veils!Just a faint shadow,maybe kinda trapezoid shaped.To confirm the sighting,I left the Veil & pursued other things and came back & found it 2 more times,so not sure what it really is,but it was great to spot it.I went out to bag NGC 7789 and finally got it :headbang: So now on to the next mission.....

Sounds like a great session with some lovely skies.

I imagine you picked up Pickerings wisp, or Pickerings Triangle (NGC 6979) which is the section between the East and West Veil, very nice :-). Here is a chart for reference, but look up some Veil images on the forum and you will see what it looks like.

post-6762-137819455259_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Stu

Sounds like a great session with some lovely skies.

I imagine you picked up Pickerings wisp, or Pickerings Triangle (NGC 6979) which is the section between the East and West Veil, very nice :-). Here is a chart for reference, but look up some Veil images on the forum and you will see what it looks like.

post-6762-137819455259_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu I am pretty exited about this,I will try to find out what part of Pickerings I saw then-I only saw a chunk of it,for sure not the whole thing as in your picture.I love this hobby!And I'm goin to bed.....3am here,was a long day,fishing till 9pm,then back out with the scope,great day.

It's one of my favourites. I can fit the whole thing in the field of view with my refractor and its lovely. I should think you saw the triangular part towards the top of the chart, this is brighter than the lower parts.

Whereabouts are you? Just getting started on the day here :-)

Stu

It's one of my favourites. I can fit the whole thing in the field of view with my refractor and its lovely. I should think you saw the triangular part towards the top of the chart, this is brighter than the lower parts.

Whereabouts are you? Just getting started on the day here :-)

Stu

Hi Stu,just sitting here with a nice hot cup of coffee now,it sure tastes good!I am in a town called Fort Frances,in North West Ontario,on the border with the USA.I had my 16mm T5 Nagler & Astronomik OIII in the scope when I picked out the extra part of the Veil.The T5 gives me about 2 deg TFOV,so I had to move the scope to pick out both Veils properly.My 23mm Luminos @ 3.36 Deg TFOV will just see both,but the Nagler offers more contrast & is the min exit pupil I can use with the filter in my small scope.I get messed up on this object as it is "reversed" with my star diagonal.I did see it closer to the top of the image in my scope,I wonder if anyone has a pic/sketch of just this triangular portion.Hey Stu,I hope the day is going well.... :smiley:

Sounds great Gerry, are your skies pretty dark or do you need to get out of town for that?

The previous post is great for identifying all the various elements of the Veil. If you search on the forum there are plenty of images around, this link is to a very good one which shows the whole complex

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/193957-Veil-Nebula-HOO/page__view__findpost__p__2031306

Yep, day was pretty good, hoping to get out for some stargazing later in the week, forecast looks promising.

Cheers,

Stu

Sounds great Gerry, are your skies pretty dark or do you need to get out of town for that?

The previous post is great for identifying all the various elements of the Veil. If you search on the forum there are plenty of images around, this link is to a very good one which shows the whole complex

http://stargazerslou...ost__p__2031306

Yep, day was pretty good, hoping to get out for some stargazing later in the week, forecast looks promising.

Cheers,

Stu

Glad to here your day was good Stu,I'm going to cook up some Walleyes(similar to Zander) for lunch.....fried fish sandwiches....awesome!Fom my house in town I have some pretty severe light pollution,from an industrial complex,but 4km away the milky way is visible-weather allowing.A while back on here Umadog pointed out the darkness of my skies.....I never realized that I had easy access to them.So recently I found the zoomable Black Marble satellite image and have found the nearest places with very little light pollution.This sat image (map) is really accurate-it even shows a cluster of cabins(ours included) as a faint light source-and this is only 20 or so cabins spread out quite a bit.If I knew how to put a link on here I would-to Space.com for the Sat image.So I was about 45km from my house,on an old airstrip,last night.Great there,but the sand.......There is a spot even a little darker,first time I ever saw the Geggencsh.....or whatever its called-a light dome appeared on me one dark night months ago-I thought the Aliens were coming :grin: !I can't wait to try the VX10 out!I just got the Catseye collimation tools today,they look fantastic & the owner is great to deal with.Stu I can show you on the map where I was if you like....

I just checked out that link to Martin-H's super Veil image & I can pick out the chunk I saw.But it was just a small piece of it I'm afraid,part of that triangle,but it looked more like a trapezoid with rounded edges-kind of like a liquid shadow,if that makes any sense.I just love that 16mm TV,the contrast is so good in my scope.Sorry to ramble......

Great report! From a really dark site I picked up Pickering's Wisp with my APM 80, especially with UHC filter at low magnitude, so I do not doubt that you have got it. Lovely sight, isn't it? Congrats on finding it (and seeing so many other goodies). M31, M33 and the Veil are perfect targets for these small fracs.

Archived