Lunt B1200 with PST stage 1 how to adapt

moriniboy

I'm considering getting a Lunt B1200 as it will apparently work with the Coronado PST stage 1 conversion I have just finished.

I assume it is just a matter of adapting the BF5 ep holder to accept the B1200, has anyone got photos of their modded item or did you follow a different route.

Like the idea of a 12mm BF instead of the 10mm BF at more or less the same price.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the link, looks good.

One concern l have is that everything hangs off the etalon, l wonder what the weight difference is between the black box and a 2" focuser.

When Coronado developed the PST just the gold ota and objective required the etalon for support. Perhaps i'm overthinking this?

Not much weight difference I would have thought. As far as loading is concerned, just think of the force that is sometimes applied to dismantle some of these components, the only items that I can recall having been broken are the boa straps. :Envy:

Thanks for the link, looks good.

One concern l have is that everything hangs off the etalon, l wonder what the weight difference is between the black box and a 2" focuser.

When Coronado developed the PST just the gold ota and objective required the etalon for support. Perhaps i'm overthinking this?

If you look at the picture in this post:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187570-pst-stage-05-mod/#entry1955886

What you can't see very well is that the dovetail is actually (just) in contact with the new adaptor. I admit that it was more of a happy accident than by design. I was thinking I'd probably have to put a spacer between the two before I found the rings and they just happened to work out right. I've not put a screw through the two, but there's no reason that couldn't be done. That would mean that the etalon isn't solely supporting the weight of the focuser.

James

Don't fret too much about it. That little etalon is very well made and is pretty damned strong. i have seen many variations of components that hang on the back of the etalon. Some even include binoviewers, all without problems.

Archived