NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My Tutorial for Producing Deep Space Mosaics with EQMosaic

Gib007

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PI installed, all codes entered, updates downloaded and installed... so all ready to go :)  Now comes the hard part - learning to use it :D

Lots of help with PI on my website's tutorials Gina! :)

Here's an interesting one for your current goals: http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/08/tutorial-post-processing-pixinsight.html

More here: http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html

I downloaded the DSO pics for CdC, over 9000 of them lol Really helps with EQMosaic though :)

It really does make a notable difference in planning your frames, right? I only wish *everything* was mapped with such good images as reference.

Lots of help with PI on my website's tutorials Gina! :)

Here's an interesting one for your current goals: http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.com/2013/08/tutorial-post-processing-pixinsight.html

More here: http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html

Well, I started reading the first link particularly regarding mosaics then scanned some more on the general processing with stretching, noise reduction etc. before giving up about two thirds through the tutorial.  And my reply is "WOW!!  That sure is some powerful (and therefore complicated) software!"  I can see that it certainly has some advantages over Photoshop :)  I like their approach to the trial arrangement - complete and fully working software that you can really use and try out - and for a decent length of time.  AND if you have a good reason to want longer to try it, they will extend the trial period.  That is what I would call real customer consideration.  I simply don't bother with trials of software where parts of it are turned off or they have silly restrictions like not being able to save.

Those are very helpful, detailled tutorials and seem very well written.  I shall be working through it/them and seeing how I get on.  Thank you very much for writing them :)

My general attitude to software is that having spent thousands of pounds on hardware, a few hundred on software that really does the job is money well spent.

I can see I shall be spending more time on image processing :D  I don't mind this - in fact I like image processing - it's nice to see the image gradually improving.  The actual capturing of images is boring to me so I like to have it as automated as possible and just leave it running.  I check now and again that things are running well - particularly guiding.  The almost live guiding camera image gives a good indication of the state of the sky - you can see thin cloud passing by and estimate the transparency.  But what I like about automated capturing is that I can leave it all running on our rare clear nights and go to bed while the kit grabs my data ready for processing next day :)

I can see I shall be spending more time on image processing :D  I don't mind this - in fact I like image processing - it's nice to see the image gradually improving.  The actual capturing of images is boring to me so I like to have it as automated as possible and just leave it running.  I check now and again that things are running well - particularly guiding.  The almost live guiding camera image gives a good indication of the state of the sky - you can see thin cloud passing by and estimate the transparency.  But what I like about automated capturing is that I can leave it all running on our rare clear nights and go to bed while the kit grabs my data ready for processing next day :)

That should give you about 4 good nights decent sleep a year ;)  What we need is another layer in the automatic capture routine to analyse the all sky cam pictures and choose the best target based on conditions!

I would love to get further into the processing side, but will probably leave this until I have acquired a better camera - though it's difficult to devote the time and brain space during the day with work, domestic chores and young kids to worry about.    Perhaps I can capture data on a wide range of targets as conditions allow, then save the processing up until I retire - though I'd need a lot of discipline and some sort of aide to remember the framing, setup and record exactly what data had been captured!

So far I think you hand stacking has produced the best result - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/193638-my-tutorial-for-producing-deep-space-mosaics-with-eqmosaic/?p=2073687 - Great image and well worth the considerable effort going in, but bet it makes you hanker for one of the new 29Mpix cameras.

The processing of astrophotos is one of my favourite parts. Getting the data is fun too but the real thrill is when you see all that data start to unfold and turn into a great image. Was up till 6.30 am last night taking images of comet Ison my first ever comet and after I get some kip will post the results. Not a mosaic I know but I'm still waiting for Mr Blobby to go to sleep. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That should give you about 4 good nights decent sleep a year ;)  What we need is another layer in the automatic capture routine to analyse the all sky cam pictures and choose the best target based on conditions!

I would love to get further into the processing side, but will probably leave this until I have acquired a better camera - though it's difficult to devote the time and brain space during the day with work, domestic chores and young kids to worry about.    Perhaps I can capture data on a wide range of targets as conditions allow, then save the processing up until I retire - though I'd need a lot of discipline and some sort of aide to remember the framing, setup and record exactly what data had been captured!

So far I think you hand stacking has produced the best result - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/193638-my-tutorial-for-producing-deep-space-mosaics-with-eqmosaic/?p=2073687 - Great image and well worth the considerable effort going in, but bet it makes you hanker for one of the new 29Mpix cameras.

Thank you :)  As you know, I'm working on a largish frame sized camera at a mere fraction of the cost of one of those :D  But yes, it would be nice but well beyond my funds I'm afraid.

Image processing is quite time consuming but it's something I can do while keeping my OH company while he recovers from a broken hip.

I agree that the manually overlapped mosaic is the best so far.  I think the reason was that the conditions were better - moon further away and less cloud about.

In the subject of framing and large CCDs, I'm a big fan of mosaics. For example, M45 fits perfectly in frame with my ATIK 383L+ on the Borg 77EDII. However, I choose to image M45 with my Altair Astro 8" RC because its much tighter FOV requires me to create a four-pane mosaic to capture M45. This effectively makes my image of M45 twice the resolution in each dimension than if I just used my wider-field refractor.

I can see I shall be spending more time on image processing :D I don't mind this - in fact I like image processing - it's nice to see the image gradually improving. The actual capturing of images is boring to me so I like to have it as automated as possible and just leave it running. I check now and again that things are running well - particularly guiding. The almost live guiding camera image gives a good indication of the state of the sky - you can see thin cloud passing by and estimate the transparency. But what I like about automated capturing is that I can leave it all running on our rare clear nights and go to bed while the kit grabs my data ready for processing next day :)

Same goes for me! Keeps the peace at home as well...

In the subject of framing and large CCDs, I'm a big fan of mosaics. For example, M45 fits perfectly in frame with my ATIK 383L+ on the Borg 77EDII. However, I choose to image M45 with my Altair Astro 8" RC because its much tighter FOV requires me to create a four-pane mosaic to capture M45. This effectively makes my image of M45 twice the resolution in each dimension than if I just used my wider-field refractor.

Absolutely :)  Also, I like using my MN190 because it's a much better scope than anything else I've got.  I could get twice as much in with the ED80 but at f6.3 rather than f5.3.  The image quality seems to be better with the MN190 than the ED80.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for reopening this topic :icon_albino:

I couldn't find out whether it is possible to drive a fully automated sequence within one imaging session. Let me explain:

I have a modified Sony mirrorless and want to do a mosaic of 4 frames at a focal length of 135mm. Each frame consists of 15 x 4min subs. So, after one hour integrating the first field of my mosaic I'd like to drive my mount to the next position automatically. The alignment isn't critical due to the short focal length at the moment. My idea was to let the camera do the framing without interruption and to discard the few broken frames when the mount goes automatically to the new position.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

ccdfreak

Archived