Lithium batteries

Davey-T

Apart from being smaller and lighter, can anyone explain any significant advantage of using a £119.95 8Ah battery over a £15-20 lead acid equivalent?

I'm sure these things have their uses, but they strike me as a bit unnecessary for astronomy purposes. I'd rather get myself a cheap battery and a nice eyepiece for that sort of outlay.

Deep Thought there would be no advantage apart from weight.

I was going to get one for my lamping sessions with my rifle, but a mate had bought one for his night shooting and told me to save my money. "They didn't last long enough" & has now gone back to the standard lead battery.

I was thinking of replacing the battery in my Maplin power tank with one, more power for same size.

And apparently they hold full power rather than gradually dropping.

I've got a battery drill with lith ion batteries and instead of gradually going slower it just stops, really annoying :)

Dave

I've bought one of these, though not used it yet. The reasons I went for it are:

- Thanks to its light weight and compact size, it can sit on my goto dob's base. That means no cables dangling all over the place, no dob getting caught up on the cable, no having to keep moving the battery around as the dob keeps rotating, no people tripping over the battery.

- Apparently it has a much more even discharge, so hopefully this will mean that the goto doesn't gradually slow down over the course of the night.

My old lead acid battery has served me very well, but I'm really looking forward to using the new one as it makes things a bit simpler with my setup.

Archived