NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double Stars

mog3768

Can anyone recommend a book, star atlas, or the likes that has a list of All the double and triple stars in the northern hemisphere.

Have split most of the well known ones but there has to be lots more.

not sure it's feasible to name every double/triple system as most stars are in fact double/triple systems. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Cambridge-Double-Star-Atlas/dp/0521493439/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377526219&sr=8-1&keywords=cambridge+double+star+atlas has over 2000 which is more than enough to keep you going for a while. It's a great general atlas too. you might get it cheaper by shopping around.

It'll be a little exaggeration but I've heard that about two thirds of stars are binary systems - albeit many being spectroscopic. If your standard star atlas plotted all the doubles possible for apertures under 14" more than half would have that little bar running through them.

As the other chaps have voiced the Cambridge Double Atlas is a great resource which can be nicely accompanied with Sissy Haas' Double Stars (essentially a list of 2,100 binaries for small scopes).

I have an iphone app simply called double stars. It gives you the tag name and constellation eg 1 Ari and also right asc, declination as well as magnitude and a little illustration of roughtly how far apart they are and so how difficult they will be to split.

As I have goto facility, I can simply put in the coords and it takes me there,

Archived