Beannachar Astro Station Project ***progress update - pics on the way!***

Andrew*

Here it is at last! The eagerly awaited un-veiling of the

BEANNACHAR ASTRO STATION!!! (never heard of it? just trust me, it's eagerly awaited...)

For those of you who don't know, Beannachar is the place where I work. We care for people with learning disabilities. On Thursday evening from 7-8 we have "Hobby Groups" during the winter and I run the astronomy hobby group, which has 4 members.

This is what our little hobby group have been working on every cloudy Thursday evening. On clear nights of course it's been straight out with the stuff and looking at the moon, M31, M45, Mars, Holmes and some open clusters all of which have been very well received! I've also been introducing them to new constellations and now they should be able to identify Cygnus, Cassiopeia, the Pole Star, the Plough, etc.

Anyway, I designed the project, but we all leant a hand putting it together and now we've got something to show.

2747_normal.jpeg

A quick cardboard 1:10 model of the base. this will be filled with concrete. In the background you see the table (more on that later)

2750_normal.jpeg

On the base goes Orion's 450mm pedestal. The thread represents leads coming from the mount/dew strips etc.

2748_normal.jpeg

Inside goes two 17Ah batteries. A hole in the middle keeps the leads tidy and out of the way

2749_normal.jpeg

On the top goes three pieces of wood for use as a table to put all the bits

2758_normal.jpeg

This is the floor plan for the table. It will be made from >3cm thick wood and shaped for all the bits we need.

2751_normal.jpeg

And this is the base almost complete. The pedestal is poised in position, but of course it will be bolted into the concrete.

2752_normal.jpeg

The pedestal will be bolted onto 12mm studding which will be set into the concrete. We eventually decided HB wasn't strong enough :icon_jokercolor:

2753_normal.jpeg

From left to right: Ringo, Paul, George, and Hauke (who joined us just the once). The thing is 70cm high with sides 90cm.

Next we have to support the bolts precisely in position, dig a hole a foot deep and fill it with concrete. The astro station will be submerged about 10cm into this base and then filled with concrete. The wood will stay on it, and once the concrete has set, we will start to decorate it. George is incredibly inventive (and ridiculously chatty!) and has suggested we paint it black or dark blue with stars and planets.

Once all is complete, on top will go the mount and telescopes and it will all go under a Telegizmo 365, so it will be ready to use and polar aligned in seconds! :embarassed:

Well, that's the plan.

Andrew

Well that is a great project you have going Andrew, and you are to be applauded for it. It may be a small group, but I think it will grow when it is completed. It will catch the attention of more people when the word gets around.

Is the mount base to be a permanent fixture within a shed eventually?. Also, is that a tractor exhaust pipe I see in the background?

Wish you all the best with this, and you know we are all here to help or advise should you need any.

Ron. :icon_jokercolor:

Well that is a great project you have going Andrew, and you are to be applauded for it. It may be a small group, but I think it will grow when it is completed. It will catch the attention of more people when the word gets around.

To be honest, I expected a bigger group to join, but the present group are perfect and full of enthusiasm.

Is the mount base to be a permanent fixture within a shed eventually?

Maybe eventually, but for now it will be in the open, hence the T365 cover. If this project finishes quickly and successfully, I will adapt a shed (already got it) to house it.

Cheers

Andrew

Also, is that a tractor exhaust pipe I see in the background?

Wish you all the best with this, and you know we are all here to help or advise should you need any.

Yes, we're mainly working in an open farm shed which houses two tractors which appear in these photos. We keep hens, cows, sheep and pigs.

2760_normal.jpeg

2761_normal.jpeg

We also have a small kubota, which the students (residents) are allowed to drive

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

It does look like an exciting project - I can image you had a great time brainstorming ideas and then making the models. Your group will really feel that they've played an importnat part too :icon_jokercolor:

My husband reckons I should make a scale model of my plans - and you've given me some ideas as I'm going to use a pillar rather than a pier too!

What's your timescale for completion? Having a permanent mount set-up should make life much easier when its so cold (I find dismantling frozen kit, with frozen hands very challenging!). Have you thought about putting a roll-off shed over it at some point? Not a roll-off roof shed, but a whole shed that rolls off to reveal the mount and scope? There some nifty designs on the web :embarassed:

Keep the pictures coming please!

Helen

And yes, I know my DIY skills are not quite up to scratch! :icon_jokercolor:

Look fine to me Andrew 8)

but the present group are perfect and full of enthusiasm.

Enthusiasm is the prime ingredient - looks like they are having fun too?

Ringo, George and Paul??? Perhaps you should have started a music club too?? :embarassed:

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Cheers

Bill£ :rolleyes:

Andrew

Just a thought, it sounds like you are a prime candidate for an Awards For All grant from the lottery.

As your working with people that have learning disabilities.

The grant is now up to £10000 I am sure that you could set up a very useful Astronomy group and get the latest equipment.

It’s worth investigating.

http://www.awardsforall.org.uk/

Trev.

And yes, I know my DIY skills are not quite up to scratch! :icon_jokercolor:

Look fine to me Andrew 8)

but the present group are perfect and full of enthusiasm.

Ringo, George and Paul??? Perhaps you should have started a music club too?? :embarassed:

I can't give their real names, of course. John is also in the group. That's him in the last photo I posted!

Your group will really feel that they've played an importnat part too :rolleyes:

I think so. Certainly when it's in use it will show its true value.

My husband reckons I should make a scale model of my plans - and you've given me some ideas as I'm going to use a pillar rather than a pier too!

To be honest, I think a pier would be much more stable. But almost as soon as I saw the pedestal on AB&S this idea came to me and I felt the table part would facilitate things so much. And I think this arrangement will be far more stable than just a tripod sitting on the ground. At least I hope so!

What's your timescale for completion?

This part alone has taken me a good 3 months because of the limiting time I ahve to spend on it. I would definitely hope it can be up and running by the time the groups finish (springtime). To have it all perfect (the table shaped and varnished, the painting done, and a nice surrounding space) I'm probably looking at this time next year...

Have you thought about putting a roll-off shed over it at some point? Not a roll-off roof shed, but a whole shed that rolls off to reveal the mount and scope? There some nifty designs on the web :rolleyes:

I would love to, but it really depends on how progress goes with this. That's an equally large project, so will probably only get going next year, depending on interest...

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

will do, Bill, but I think it will be January before there's any noticeable progress :lol:

Just a thought, it sounds like you are a prime candidate for an Awards For All grant from the lottery.

As your working with people that have learning disabilities.

Trev, that's definitely worth investigating :laugh:

Cheers :lol:

Andrew

Have you thought about putting a roll-off shed over it at some point? Not a roll-off roof shed, but a whole shed that rolls off to reveal the mount and scope?

Helen

Or just a "pick up and move" shed. It looks like you've got several big lads who could easily shift the shed off the 'scope. Keep the pictures coming, its looking very good so far.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Or just a "pick up and move" shed. It looks like you've got several big lads who could easily shift the shed off the 'scope.

Also an okay idea, but when I'm on my own that's out of the question :shock:

Thanks for the words, Kap'n.

I've printed out the guidelines and application for the Awards for All. Think what I could do with the funding! :icon_jokercolor: EQ6 pro... mmmmm...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'll hopefully get spades in everyone's hands first session next year, and the concrete in the week after. Still a bit to do before then, though...

Cheers

Andrew

I admire your enthusiasm Andrew, the rewards are the enjoyment and knowledge that the students get from the project. Keep up the good work and do keep us informed as to progress, just wished I was still up there, would have loved to come along and gave you a helping hand.

naz

• 1 month later...

Well, progress it is.

Unfortunately the first two weeks back have been soaking wet - no good for digging, but I've been working hard to get the actual station completed, and just finished it today.

I calculated north by marking the shadow of an upright stick at solar noon, and marked out the corners of the triangle with a spade. I dug down a foot through very soft soil and came to a few small stones in the soft soil. Apparently the ground here is a sponge down to about 6 feet. This part might be harder than I anticipated :insects1:

I've drilled the 12mm holes through the pedestal legs, and used a hacksaw to level the small area above the holes, to give the nuts a level ground to tighten onto.

I finally got hold of 12mm threaded rod (bit of a story about that) and cut it into three. I found some metal bar, drilled 12mm holes and used nuts to hold that tightly on. This will give the concrete something solid to hold on to.

Now was to find a way to make this thing moveable. You see, when the time comes to move this thing to a new home (as it inevitably will), it needs to have some way to pick it up. How I did this was to bore six 50mm holes around the station, and cut old trampoline framing poles to bridge the gaps (and not protrude, which would be a pain when you're trying to observe). To shift it, 3 long strong metal bars can be slid through the poles, and six strong men can ease the 600 kilo block of concrete out of the ground :shock: Or so the theory goes. So I've been boring holes at awkward angles, filing them out to get the fitting right, marking and hacksawing trampoline poles. This all takes a lot of time when you have as little experience as I.

Found some 30mm blocks of wood to support the pedestal the correct height above the concrete.

Now it's all in place and all I have to do now is cover the small gaps I've left in the wooden structure, dig down 5 more feet :shock: (don't think I'll do this. As long as the ground is not a sponge I'll fill it up with some gravel and it should be fine), get that concrete mixed and fill it up, ensuring the pedestal's level, wait a week, and get using it. :D

To cover the entire set-up when not in use I have been in contact with Bob at Telegizmos in USA. He's going to have a 365 cover made to my measurements and shipped to me for under £100 without taxes. :D An aside - absolutely cracking service from TGs. He replied to my email just a few hours after I sent it. Not bad for a sunday morning!! Once the measurements were confirmed, the quote came within minutes.

Total cost:

- pedestal - £50

- 2 packs of nuts, 1 length of studding: under £8.

- 1 12mm HSS drill bit - £4

- wood, bar, drain pipe, trampoline frame - had it all lying around - £0

- screws - £nominal

- concrete - buy it in bulk - £peanuts.

- tools - either had them already or borrowed

= well short of £100.

The result - permanently set-up and polar aligned set up. Easy to use, and ready to observe or image in seconds 8)

Pics to follow once the damn internet connection speeds up a bit. Sluggish as heck :lol:

Andrew

Thanks Helen,

yes it's come along nicely without too many hiccups.

Dug down another foot today, getting to slightly rocky sandy stuff. I don't know whether it will be any good to build on this. What do you think, chaps / esses?

Also, further emails to and from Bob and as I type, my telegizmo is being cut and sewn to my requested size and will be posted tomorrow 8)

Cheers

Andrew

No I was on my own. We only meet for an hour on a Thursday evening, but I'm eager to get ahead, so I work as much as I can in between. Progress is slow, because I'm almost digging under my own feet, but if all goes to plan we WILL be pouring the concrete on Thursday :hello1:

I'll take some pics tomorrow morning if the weather permits.

Andrew

Archived