Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The dog has horns!

When using the 350D I try to achieve focus on a bright star before moving on to the chosen subject. I tried this on the Dog Star the other night. Not a good idea. Bit of a flash so-n-so. Anyhow, prior to binning the shot I inverted the image and it looks like the dog has grown horns!

Reminds me of those microscope pictures you see of zoo plankton or micro organisms on The Discovery Channel. :icon_jokercolor:

Stand well back for best view.

CW

(click to enlarge)

I'd figure it's atmospheric effects-seeing. BTW, that's a very sharp image there, great focus. Note the dimmer star lower right. Note also that Sirius isn't quite round, but shows well the iris shape of the aperture stops. As a tip, you'd do better using a star like the dimmer one for focus. Magnitude -2 is just too bright. :icon_jokercolor:

Now be sure you have scrutinized the image thoroughly CW. You would not want to have the Pup in there somewhere, and miss seeing it.

You know your own record for finding minute objects within images . As you obviously have the lens on the camera, I would doubt it is attached to the scope, unless you have an afocal configuration.

I know the companion of Sirius is impossible to see, except possibly with an occulting disc/bar, but these thing tend to want to say hello to you CW. :embarassed:

Ron. :icon_jokercolor:

When using the 350D I try to achieve focus on a bright star before moving on to the chosen subject. I tried this on the Dog Star the other night

Stuff this mobile phone malarky then eh? Reckon I'll ask Father-Annual-GiftDay for a Canon 350D n I'll do all m'future unconventional imaging w'that :?

Bugrit... Horns Dave? The dog has summit alright :icon_jokercolor:

I know the companion of Sirius is impossible to see, except possibly with an occulting disc/bar, but these thing tend to want to say hello to you CW. :laugh:

Ron. :rolleyes:

With a 28-200mm zoom Ron I think I would need more than an occuting bar on that SOB to find the pup.

More like a Saloon Bar! :icon_jokercolor:

Stuff this mobile phone malarky then eh? Reckon I'll ask Father-Annual-GiftDay for a Canon 350D n I'll do all m'future unconventional imaging w'that :?

Bugrit... Horns Dave? The dog has summit alright :embarassed:

Stick with the phone mate! You get better results than I do and it's a lot lighter. :rolleyes:

Cheers

CW

Archived