Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any UK retailer offering finance on the more expensive scopes?

The only loan I've even had was a mortgage and thats paid off now. I've saved for everything else including cars and hobby gear. Thats the way my parents did it and my in-laws so it's not surprising that we have followed suit.

A man once said "Never borrow money to buy a depreciating asset".

It's not a maxim I follow to the letter, but I think there's a good deal of sense in it. For a good few years now I've not borrowed money to buy something that wouldn't pay off the debt if I sold it.

James

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a maxim I follow to the letter, but I think there's a good deal of sense in it. For a good few years now I've not borrowed money to buy something that wouldn't pay off the debt if I sold it.

James

My dad was an accountant James and I can recall him saying something similar :smiley:

I think it's just a matter of personal choice so we should respect that, whichever way people choose to go :smiley:

The only loan I've even had was a mortgage and thats paid off now. I've saved for everything else including cars and hobby gear. Thats the way my parents did it and my in-laws so it's not surprising that we have followed suit.

No problem if others want to make different choices though :smiley:

That's pretty much my motto. For luxury items, such as astro gear I buy when I have the cash, otherwise I don't. The only other time I had loans when I had to pay for some of my education. Luckily enough in my day I could get grants and such, so the money I owed were small sums compared to what student loans can be nowadays. The only thing pay for monthly is a mortgage shared with the missus. Still, I would never barrow or go the credit route if I have the choice not to do so. Unfortunately not everyone in in all situations has that choice, and I can appreciate that.

I don't like compulsive spending though personally, it is not something I'd want to promote or see my family or kids do ( if I had kids, but a few in my family have done so and it has brought them nothing but trouble, just seeing cash as an asset to build up maximum debt 'till it is no longer possible, and trouble follows )

Each to their own :) Bottom line, as long as it is sensible, all good, and by that I mean in most cases for people here on this board, who can afford to buy astro gear in the first place, they cannot be that badly off, so if they bankrupt themselves, they can blame themselves.

Each time I buy an eyepiece, I also make a donation to a charity, it may only be 1 or 2 pounds, but some people in the world will never have the luxuries we have. I always try to keep that in perspective.

Clear skies, now try and buy that on credit, some things are just priceless :D

I think it's just a matter of personal choice so we should respect that, whichever way people choose to go :smiley:

No problem if others want to make different choices though :smiley:

I do respect their choice not to borrow John, what I don't respect is that many people are so against it they demean thoughs that choose to.

James

when you are working out the value of ...oh I don't know...say a car, do you factor in the wages that said car have allowed you to earn? or the job you wouldn't have got if you didn't borrow £100 off a mate to buy a suit for the job interview? it's not always cut and dry is it.

I do respect their choice not to borrow John, what I don't respect is that many people are so against it they demean thoughs that choose to....

I've not seen anything "demeaning" in this thread, just some differing opinions.

Luckily I am in the enviable position to be able to afford pretty much anything (within reason as the wife might kill me otherwise), but joking aside the 0% idea is a very good one. If you are making a large purchase then put it on one of those over however many months and leave your savings in the bank accruing interest. I clear my credit card every month without fail. The prospect of paying 15/20% + interest per month is too terrible to even contemplate.

Another vote for Moneysavingexpert as well. Martin Lewis is the man

As a footnote, I have in the past borrowed money to fund the purchase of new musical equipment when I was playing the drums in various bands. It was/is very much a hobby/labour of love and something that cannot easily be explained to someone who doesn't understand it. You do it because you love it and you want the best gear you can afford. Plain and simple.

when you are working out the value of ...oh I don't know...say a car, do you factor in the wages that said car have allowed you to earn? or the job you wouldn't have got if you didn't borrow £100 off a mate to buy a suit for the job interview? it's not always cut and dry is it.

As I said, it's not something I follow to the letter. But I think it's a good starting point to work from so that you properly understand why you want to borrow the money, what the consequences are and whether the object of your desire is genuinely worth it. Everyone will draw the line in a different place, I suspect.

I'm probably more conservative than most, working for myself, knowing there's no money if there's no work, and having a mortgage to pay and two young children. And I remember how horrible it was last time the economy went seriously down the pan and people were left with enormous debts that they had no means of paying off.

James

With out having read all the posts, buy it on a credit card then swap the amount to a interest free card...you should get 18 months to pay it off......MBNA bless'em have informed me if i don't use there card there going to terminate it. :)

Archived