Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just a camera on a tripod...

post-31556-0-84243000-1376928367_thumb.j My first ever astrophotography pic. I took this using a Nikon D60 mounted on a tripod with an exposure time of 30 seconds. Not the best photo ever taken, but hay, you gotta start somewhere. I was actually quite surprised to be able to make out the double star in the "handle" of the Plough.

Hi Guys. To be completely honest - I don't know what type of lens it is (It is the one that came with the camera) but this is what is printed on the top: Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 G and this is printed on the bottom: Nikon DX SWM VR Aspherical 8(Infinity sign) - 0.28m/0.92ft o52 . I have just had a look at what settings the camera is still set on and it looks like f5 but i'm not sure. I know I had a play and got the shutter to open as wide as possible though. Sorry I can't be more help but I don't really know how to use the camers properly yet either... I'm new to photography too...very new. As for light pollution, I live on the very edge of a fairly large town and this shot was taken from my back garden about 20 meters from a bright street light. Sorry if this is all useless information for you.

Hi Guys. To be completely honest - I don't know what type of lens it is (It is the one that came with the camera) but this is what is printed on the top: Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 G and this is printed on the bottom: Nikon DX SWM VR Aspherical 8(Infinity sign) - 0.28m/0.92ft o52 . I have just had a look at what settings the camera is still set on and it looks like f5 but i'm not sure. I know I had a play and got the shutter to open as wide as possible though. Sorry I can't be more help but I don't really know how to use the camers properly yet either... I'm new to photography too...very new. As for light pollution, I live on the very edge of a fairly large town and this shot was taken from my back garden about 20 meters from a bright street light. Sorry if this is all useless information for you.

nicely done. some very pleasing images can be acheived with just a camera and tripod, especially with a shorter exposure and mulitple subs stacked

Thats a brilliant start! You can really identify the plough. I'd like some more info as far as light pollution conditions, ISO-number, lens, focal length and F-number.

Very impressive first astrophoto. What lens with the D60 (and settings) did you use?

Hey, just try different settings and see what you come up with. I spent many hours out in the fields behind town learning to take wide fields with my Nikon and the bundled lens.

In my gallery you can see a few wide angle examples with a similar lens with a Nikon D5100 on a tripod.

I usually shoot with the widest angle at 18mm and the largest aperture (F/3.5). And I usually try to stick with 15sec at most (less star trails) at ISO 200 to 600.

Keep up the good work!

Hi, nice first shot. I live near Buckingham and work near Bicester so if you want a chinwag PM me. I'm with the Chipping Norton astro group (CNAAG) who are absolutely terrific, so if you want to join a group, have a look at their website: http://www.cnaag.com/There's also the Aylesbury one which is very good. I don't know if Bicester has a group.Alexxx

Archived