Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi, I'm new here and looking for a bit of help.

I recently rescued an old Tasco 302012 114mm x 900mm telescope from a skip at work, it's in good shape and complete apart from one thing. Excuse my lack of terminology, but the "end cap' that has an aperture where the light enters is missing, I can make a replacement easily enough if someone could just tell me the diameter of the aperture?

Thanks in anticipation...

Graham.

Thanks, I may not have made myself clear, when I say the end cap I don't mean a dust cap, which I can see could easily be replaced wth a shower cap. What I mean is the bit that the cap would cover, a circular disc that fits in the end of the tube with a large aperture hole in the middle. I know from looking at photos online that it should have one but don't know the size of the aperture, I could work.it out roughly from a photo but I don't know how critical it is?

I think I may have found the answer to my question, or at least a partial one, elsewhere on this forum. In a post from around 3 years ago, someone else with the same telescope was asking if they should use it with the end piece removed so the end was fully open, I didn't realise that you could do this and assumed it needed the smaller aperture to work. I guess I need to set it up and try it, I haven't even brought it home from work yet as I thought it couldn't be used without this piece!

I think I may have found the answer to my question, or at least a partial one, elsewhere on this forum. In a post from around 3 years ago, someone else with the same telescope was asking if they should use it with the end piece removed so the end was fully open, I didn't realise that you could do this and assumed it needed the smaller aperture to work. I guess I need to set it up and try it, I haven't even brought it home from work yet as I thought it couldn't be used without this piece!

If it's the small cap thats missing from the big front cover cap its no problem. It's a way to cut the amount of light by just using the small hole, and thats a very situational thing to do like when viewing during daytime (or when viewing the sun but ALWAYS in conjuction with real solar protection filter, or its still very dangerous). So it should be good :)

Welcome aboard!

Archived