NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Merseyside Observatory Build

Bellyeye

What are you planning to build over it?

I've given this a lot of thought over the past couple of months.

I live in an area of pretty bad light pollution. St Helens sits between Liverpool in the West and Warrington/Manchester to the East. John Lennon airport is to the southwest and Widnes and Runcorn (with it's illuminated bridge!) is to the south. Add to this the fact that the local council decided to erect not one but two streetlamps just outside my property one of which shines right across my observing position.

On the plus side the rear of my property is not overlooked and backs on to a small wooded area - but as a result there is a high treeline limiting my FOV.

As my main interest is photography I was thinking about just building a small enclosure similar to Mikes excellent idea here.

In the end I've decided on a full roll off roof shed observatory. If nothing else it means that it will be able to store all of my kit that tends to get in the way around the house!

post-10918-137690898333_thumb.jpg

The site. The whole garden is about to be landscaped so excuse the mess!

post-10918-13769102065_thumb.jpg

The hole is approx 50 x 50 x 80cm deep.

post-10918-137691049013_thumb.jpg

M16 threaded rod with lengths of angle iron welded. I was never going to bend those things!

post-10918-137691063045_thumb.jpg

The jig!

post-10918-137691068247_thumb.jpg

After the pour...

post-10918-13769107189_thumb.jpg

And finally what it looks like this morning. Just hope the pier's going to slip easily over those bolts....

post-10918-137699228383_thumb.jpg

Ok. It's on! Concrete had cured enough to take the shuttering off. As per previous post I was worried that the bolts may have set in at a slight angle so I gave the pier a try. It was a tough job (on my own!) but I finally got it down and it's absolutely fine. Happy days.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - back from holiday and about to sort out materials. Time to comb through all the other threads here for ideas!

Looking at one of these pier adapters for my HEQ5. Can anyone recommend? They look like a good option as they seem to take a variety of mounts.

Ok - back from holiday and about to sort out materials. Time to comb through all the other threads here for ideas!

Looking at one of these pier adapters for my HEQ5. Can anyone recommend? They look like a good option as they seem to take a variety of mounts.

I live in St.Helens as well just near "The Dream" i have a lot of light pollution but i don't have the luxury of being able build a observatory i wish you well in your build.

Hi John,good luck with the build.I use an altair pier adapter with my eq6 although its slightly different from the one your link shows.Mine has 6 screws not 4 and is blue,however I can say both the pier and adapter are altair astro ones and I am very happy with them they are extremely well made and simple to attach,top quality

I live in St.Helens as well just near "The Dream" i have a lot of light pollution but i don't have the luxury of being able build a observatory i wish you well in your build.

Not far from the dream myself. LP is going to be even more interesting when the new Aldi car park gets its quota of unnecessary lighting :-(

Hi John,good luck with the build.I use an altair pier adapter with my eq6 although its slightly different from the one your link shows.Mine has 6 screws not 4 and is blue,however I can say both the pier and adapter are altair astro ones and I am very happy with them they are extremely well made and simple to attach,top quality

I have some Altair mounting kit and agree that it's good quality stuff. Mind made up then and order placed. I suppose I was fishing for some kind soul to offer to mill one for me for a fiver... ;-)

Not far from the dream myself. LP is going to be even more interesting when the new Aldi car park gets its quota of unnecessary lighting :-(

Hopefully this wont effect me as i live in Sutton Manor i have just got got a load of new house built near me and got street light right outside the front and two in car park at the back which is not even a car park its off road parking for residents and we have our own driveways don't know why they cannot turn them off late at night i cannot even see Ursa minor.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine mate - sometimes life gets in the way!!

Just taken delivery of Altair Pier Adaptor. Got to say the service from them was first class. Ordered Monday received Tuesday. It's the new version that will take a variety of mounts too in case I go for the EQ6 at some point.

I've also taken down the 'Wendy House' in readiness for the build.

Good to hear from you Ian - I'm sure we'll catch up at PSP13

Archived