NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WHEN,WHEN, am I gonna learn...!

jetstream

So I went on a mission last night,I'm going to get this object under my belt,car is loaded,my Pocket Atlas is already showing signs of wear and is sitting there waiting.....Get to the site and.........When am I gonna learn that the BRIGHT MOON messes me up!! :BangHead: I don't even want to say what I was looking for 'cause I should be able to see it anyway.....

Was that why I couldn't find M13 last night then? Apart from the fact after 30 minutes it clouded over... grrr

Could well be, although I've just about been able to pick up M13 in a 200 dob on a moonlit night, but then only under an excellent sky.

Yesterday I found M13, the Dumbbell, M56, 56, 31, and 32, on a waxing gibbous Moon. However, all of these are fairly bright. I couldn't, however, find the Ring (though that may be twilight). I think, even when the Moon is moderately bright, some of the brighter objects are visible. However, I think that changes on full Moon.

David

Yesterday I found M13, the Dumbbell, M56, 56, 31, and 32, on a waxing gibbous Moon. However, all of these are fairly bright. I couldn't, however, find the Ring (though that may be twilight). I think, even when the Moon is moderately bright, some of the brighter objects are visible. However, I think that changes on full Moon.

David

Even stars seem to disappear under the full moon. There's a few days either side too that I find almost completely useless!

Depends on the sky quality as well. Ive seen nights where the sky is ink black, and the moon hardly affects imaging (in narrowband). However, other nights you can get lunar halos or a noisy sky caused by moonight hitting thin, high level cloud - probably best to pack up and go to bed in that situation.

I'm curious about what you are looking to see :) I assume it wasn't the moon.

I actually found Uranus and Neptune for the first time the other night. I've never gone looking for these before (as I usually use a star chart which doesn't show where they are) but I decided to use my tablet the other night and it helps find things like these and I found them first time. Excellent!

I'm curious about what you are looking to see :) I assume it wasn't the moon.

I actually found Uranus and Neptune for the first time the other night. I've never gone looking for these before (as I usually use a star chart which doesn't show where they are) but I decided to use my tablet the other night and it helps find things like these and I found them first time. Excellent!

Hi Graham,I have been trying to find NGC 7789 in Cass.,I know I was in the right area-I've tried a few times,but I'm just not picking it up. That night as a check(of me & equipment) I located M81,M82,M13,Double Cluster,M27 and even 2 new DSO above Cass....maybe M52(?) and one other thing.So.......is Carolines Rose really big?Next time I'm putting in the monster Luminos 23mm for a TFOV of 3.3 & try that(when no moon) & dark skies.Anyone else have trouble with this one?Off to work here....

I have to clarify the how those DSO's I saw were,I could barely see them,but knowing where most of them are and knowing what they look like really helps.I have to say this too, the 16mm Nagler & the 10mm Luminos provide excellent contrast in my scope,making the objects visible.I thought that I should have seen NGC 7789,but no go.In another thread, other members provided great info as to what it looks like and I will get it in time.Going out with such a bright moon to find a new object isn't the best idea,but I still had fun-I just took it for granted I would see it this time...... :smiley: .

Archived