Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comparing Explore Scientific 2 inch 100 degree apparent FOV eyepieces with Ethos eyepieces

athornett

I tried an ES 100° and the eye relief was a big problem, I had to return it. I've only tried the 13mm Ethos but that is far better so if eye relief is important the Ethos will be better.

very interesting statement,specially when ExSc eye relief is 14.5mm vs Ethos 15mm,only the 9mm ExSc has 12.5mm ER and that i cant say it is on the tight side.And based on purely eye relief,eye piece is considered optically better?

I had 14mm ExSc and 13mm Ethos side by side on numerous nights on fast F4.7  14" dob and i couldnt detect ANY difference in optical performance.Even eye relief was pretty much the same on both.Both eye pieces where absolutely identical.Both snapped into focus nicely,image was sharp to the edge on both (Paracorr was used),no false colours or artifacts where noted.Purely your call,want to save money,go for ExSc.,fancy the "best" of the bunch,go for Ethos.Either way you will be a happy bunny.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the ES 100's have eye lenses that are recessed a little so that would make the actual useable eye relief a little less as it's measured from the centre of the top surface of the eye lens, which is concave with these designs to add to the challenge. The 9mm ES 100 does actually have shorter eye relief than the others - 12.5mm I believe.

very interesting statement,specially when ExSc eye relief is 14.5mm vs Ethos 15mm,only the 9mm ExSc has 12.5mm ER and that i cant say it is on the tight side.And based on purely eye relief,eye piece is considered optically better?

I had 14mm ExSc and 13mm Ethos side by side on numerous nights on fast F4.7  14" dob and i couldnt detect ANY difference in optical performance.Even eye relief was pretty much the same on both.Both eye pieces where absolutely identical.Both snapped into focus nicely,image was sharp to the edge on both (Paracorr was used),no false colours or artifacts where noted.Purely your call,want to save money,go for ExSc.,fancy the "best" of the bunch,go for Ethos.Either way you will be a happy bunny.

I use a dioptrx with the eyepieces which is what really showed up the difference. The dioptrx fits the ES (can't rember what one now, around 20mm I think) but I couldnt see anywhere near enough of the FOV. It put me off trying an Ethos for ages and it was only after reading some reviews of  using Ethos with Dioptrx and having a look at one at Astrofest that I bit the bullet and tried the 13mm. Because you attach the dioptrx to the front of the eyepiece it means you can't place your eye as close as otherwise so you need at least 15mm eye relief (or i do). The 13mm Ethos is meant to be the best with dioptrx the 21mm the worse but I haven't tried that yet. So i think eyerelief for a spectacle wearer or dioptrx user with the ES eyepieces will be a bit tight but of course it might be slightly different for each person. Either way the Ethos seem to be a bit better eye relief wise to me.

Granted I have a very limited experience with ExSc eyepieces but the Eye Relief on some of the Meade eyepieces where elements are the same can be somewhat misleading. Take the SWA Series 5000 range, nice eyepieces, I have had all of them but there is about 2mm of rubber at the top of each one and a fairly large concaved element for the eye-lens. The 16mm in particular I know caused a few people that didn't wear glasses problems, with them it and the 20mm would be  non-starters.

Going back to Ethos I find them very good indeed for ER but without glasses, in fact the 8mm E is easier on the eye than the 9mm Nagler.

Alan

I took a punt on the ES 14mm when they were brand new.  Mine has a very low serial number.  At the time people were scathing that anyone could build an Ethos type EP and many were sure it would be a disaster.  I had a look through an Ethos when they were new and it was nice but I just couldn't justify the cost when the Ethos was new.  Anyway shortly after the ES became available at a crunchy enough price to get me off the fence.  I did compare it with an Ethos and personally was hard put to tell the difference in views.

On the whole I found the whole 100' thing a bit bogus and after the initial 'wow' factor faded I realised that all things considered I wasn't that taken with it...or to be fair an Ethos either.  I just find the view a bit distracting and fell back towards 70' which I find more comfortable on my eyeballs.  I place viewing comfort as the highest factor in any eyepiece and while the ES 14 is comfy enough its not as comfy as my Pentax XWs.

The lesson there is don't get wrapped up in the hype and buy what you like and what suits you.

Archived