NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aaah - just bought DSLR - is the wife now leaving me?

Hi guys, am positively giddy now. Just bought a Canon 450D for 160£ and am now wondering how I'll get that passed the missus!!! My birthday is only in November... She's gonna kill me!!!

Ps. What sort of T adaptor, cables and programmes do I need now for capturing LX images?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should look at Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop or GIMP for final touches. Sharpcap is a webcam program.

Yeah, I'm using DSS and PS5.

I was more on about the actual photo capture. Am not gonna invest at this point into Nebulosity or Artemis...

I was more on about the actual photo capture. Am not gonna invest at this point into Nebulosity or Artemis...

The basic way is just snap on a memory card with a timer remote. I've no experience with canon but there is a program called Backyard EOS that's resonably cheap.

Yeah, I wanted to snap laptop controlled as I'm using EQMOD anyway.

Oh I get it. Have a look here: http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products.htm Basicly you need a shutter cable to let the computer take exposures. I'm not sure but you should check up if there is a way to snap direcly over USB. On Nikon I can take up to 30sec subs with just the USB, but unfortunately need a cable that works as a computer controlled timer remote for longer exposures.

i have used APT to control my 1100D and also use a remote controller sourced on E-bay for less then £12, allows in-excess of 30 second exposures, time interval ect....

Something like this for your model....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-TIMER-REMOTE-CONTROL-FOR-CANON-EOS-550D-600D-1100D-/140815537746?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item20c9429652

APT or BackyardEOS are the two apps most used for controlling the camera. I think the 450D simply uses USB to control the shutter for all exposure settings. I have a 400D and that uses a home made serial shutter release cable for exposures over 30s

Both programs will do the job, but I prefer APT.

I use APT to control my 450d. Combined with PHD you can also dither (means that hotpixels etc can be removed easily in stacking), a USB cable to connect the camera to the laptop/hub, and a 2 or 4Gb SDCard. The 450d cannot do mirror lockup over USB, but actually, I've stopped worrying about it, the long exposure times I'm using mean the mirror slap even if it causes vibration, is so short by comparison to the actual exposure, that it doesn't show. I think with the 130, you only need a t-ring to mount the camera. I would consider getting some form of clip filter for the camera also to help keep the dirt out.

I use APT to control my 450d. Combined with PHD you can also dither (means that hotpixels etc can be removed easily in stacking), a USB cable to connect the camera to the laptop/hub, and a 2 or 4Gb SDCard. The 450d cannot do mirror lockup over USB, but actually, I've stopped worrying about it, the long exposure times I'm using mean the mirror slap even if it causes vibration, is so short by comparison to the actual exposure, that it doesn't show. I think with the 130, you only need a t-ring to mount the camera. I would consider getting some form of clip filter for the camera also to help keep the dirt out.

Thanks!!

What have I got myself into...

PHD & dithering I know how it works. Guiding with a QHY5.

So:

What does APT stand for?

SD card, huh?! - The camera doesn't automatically save onto the laptop?

What is mirror lockup? I'm trying to achieve that for LX and I can't do it with a 450D anyway?

Is the "T-ring" the adapter that I put a link up for (higher up this thread)?

Clip filter as in glass? I don't have money for the astronomik filter...

Thanks!!

What have I got myself into...

PHD & dithering I know how it works. Guiding with a QHY5.

So:

What does APT stand for?

SD card, huh?! - The camera doesn't automatically save onto the laptop?

What is mirror lockup? I'm trying to achieve that for LX and I can't do it with a 450D anyway?

Is the "T-ring" the adapter that I put a link up for (higher up this thread)?

Clip filter as in glass? I don't have money for the astronomik filter...

APT - Astro Photography Tool (as mentioned above)

SD Card - a memory card that can save the images, although APT has a setting to save the images direct to a HDD on the PC so as not to fill up the SD card

Mirror Lock Up - When you take an exposure the mirror that allows you to view through the lens via the viewfinder flips up. With exposures over 30s you need to use a cable to lock the mirror up so that the shutter remains open for the duration. Have a look on APT website to see if you need a serial shutter release cable for your camera

T ring is a small ring that you fit in place of the lens so that you can attach the body of the camera to the focuser.

Clip filter is an specially produced filter that fits inside the camera body - yes these are expensive but they work a treat

Hope that helps

Sorry as has been said, apt = Astro Photo Tool. Mirror lockup is a way of raising the mirror out of the way some seconds before the exposure starts. If you don't you can get vibrations affecting the image sharpness when the shutter opens. If you use a timer remte instead of software, you can use it. Canon did not implement mirror lockup via USB until the digic iv I think. The digic 3 does not support USB mirror lockup. The 450d is very capable of long exposures, don't worry about that. You don't need an sd card, personally I prefer to work from that, although apt wil l download the raw file onto the laptop too. I'm only discussing apt, I'm sure backyard eos would do the same things, but I have no experience of using it. A clear glass filter will do the job of protecting the sensor, although if your LP is a bit rough, the astronomic cls is a pretty good bet. The other option, which would be anlit cheaper, use the sw lpr filter and use a standard nose piece with the lpr folter attached on the t ring.

The APT website is a treat! It's all still a bit muddled but I'm starting to see through it thanks to your help!

So, I'll get a T-ring and a 2" T-mount camera adapter from FLO.

APT looks brill.

Their table says, I won't need a shutter release cable: http://www.ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx

So I only need a USB cable. So I'll just need to buy a longer one.

Ah, now I'm starting to get it - with an SD card I would remove flex, simply by getting rid of cable connections between scope and laptop. But if I use an SD card, I'll need some sort of cable to lock up the mirror?

You will need something to control the camera. Either a shutter release remote or USB cable. You won't get mirror lockup without a secondary cable, but don't worry about this for now. You may not need to worry about mirror lockup anyway.

Saw this and thought what the heck does dslr stand for , digital single lens reflex , basically what you see in the viewfinder is exactly the same as the camera sensor thanks to mirrors unlike a compact camera with a viewfinder, though with today's screens I don't suppose that difference is there any more. End of waffle , thank you google.

Archived