NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hybrid Cocoon.

ollypenrice

Yves and I are working on the Cocoon in the ODK. We are nearly there but for something to do I downsized the existing ODK data to fit something Yves and I did in the TEC140 on one of his first visits and combined them. HaLRGB. Loads of data, not sure how much! Sorry.

Olly

TEC%20ODK%20COCOON%20FIN-XL.jpg

Here the FL has been defined by the TEC140 at 980mm. The ODK at 2.4 metres has been reduced to fit that. I do agree with you that the fine detail is not radically better this time in the ODK. Maybe the hot summer nights are not giving such good seeing. On the other hand I liked being able to stretch the dust and push the colour, since this can be a rather dull object. I haven't yet applied the ODK Ha.

Olly

Did not know it has a lot to show in Ha. Interesting to see. Still Cocoon is not a dull object. I wish there were dozens like this.

Mark

It's nice in Ha. In fact going deep for the surrounding area reveals a lot more. You can always count on Fabian Neyer to find stuff like this. An incredible image, transforming our usual view of the dust lanes. Loud applause for this one...

http://www.starpoint...n_pano1500.html

Olly

Very nice Olly. The colours look spot-on and I'm seeing more detail in the little, nearby reflection nebula than usual. Is this the largest you're willing to present the image..? :)

You can always count on Fabian Neyer to find stuff like this. An incredible image, transforming our usual view of the dust lanes. Loud applause for this one...

Ah, yes, I think Fabian's Heart & Soul image might be my favourite ever amateur image!

Thanks for pointing out Olly,

I'd rather go for this dust with red, very unusual combination. Looks very dim in Ha given the mount of time he invested. I wish I had this patience.

Mark

I think the point about the Ha is that it's brighter than the dust if you have enough, so you get the extraordinary inversion of dust darker than the background sky. I suspect that vast doses of red would just redden everything faint. There is no Ha in the dust but there's a lot of red in it, I suspect, so the difference would be critical. Just guessing though.

Olly

Very nice image I just tried this one in HaRGB and found it incredibly hard to process, you have shown what some Ha can do for this. Interesting that you got HaLRGB as with the HaRGB I found the colours became washed out so with the extra Lum it must have taken some good processing to keep the colour as you have,great job

Very nice image I just tried this one in HaRGB and found it incredibly hard to process, you have shown what some Ha can do for this. Interesting that you got HaLRGB as with the HaRGB I found the colours became washed out so with the extra Lum it must have taken some good processing to keep the colour as you have,great job

Were you applying the Ha as Luminance? I don't do that, or maybe just add 15% at the very end. I apply it to red in Blend Mode Lighten. Applied as L, Ha tends to give you 'pink with blue haloes.'

I did have to be careful applying the L to the colour. It is easy to over stretch the L so that the colour won't fill it. The work around is to add partial L, denoise and boost the saturation, then re apply the L in iterations.

Olly

Were you applying the Ha as Luminance? I don't do that, or maybe just add 15% at the very end. I apply it to red in Blend Mode Lighten. Applied as L, Ha tends to give you 'pink with blue haloes.'

I did have to be careful applying the L to the colour. It is easy to over stretch the L so that the colour won't fill it. The work around is to add partial L, denoise and boost the saturation, then re apply the L in iterations.

Olly

Hi I copied the red channel onto the Ha and changed the opacity to 25% .Then I copied this new HaR onto the red channel to create a new RGB.I then pasted the original Ha onto this new RGB and set the oacity to 75% and blend to lum.The method is described in more detail here

http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/software/ps_hargb.aspx

I found it still washed the colours out so am looking at other methods to see which I find works best for me

Hi I copied the red channel onto the Ha and changed the opacity to 25% .Then I copied this new HaR onto the red channel to create a new RGB.I then pasted the original Ha onto this new RGB and set the oacity to 75% and blend to lum.The method is described in more detail here

http://starizona.com...e/ps_hargb.aspx

I found it still washed the colours out so am looking at other methods to see which I find works best for me

Sounds dodgy (and complicated) to me, quite honestly. If pasting Ha onto red in blend mode lighten is good enough for Robert Gendler...

Tom, thanks. We're making progress with the all-ODK version which now has a cracking lum layer but needs masses of colour to fill it.

Olly

Archived