Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Energizer Red LED headlamp

Stargazer_00

Just got one of these off of Amazon. Bit miffed you have to cycle the mode through 3 white light modes before it goes to night vision mode.

Has anyone modified one of these so only the red mode comes on and off, or indeed replaced all the white lights with other red LEDs?

Right now I have to squeeze my eyes shut and push 4 times then tentatively open my left (non observing) eye to look for the red glow before opening my eyes.

It'd be much better if it was just red or off.

Tempted to open it up and remove one of the red LEDs anyway as its a bit bright.

Ye ive got one what i did was to open up the back there is four little posi drive screws

once you get to the leds i just dabbed i bit of red paint on them

that should do the trick it also gives you the option to have it dim or brighter

This is far better: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Wilkinson-Sword-Ltd-632348/dp/B003YC9RO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376061946&sr=8-2&keywords=energiser+headlamp

It has a single red LED when you push the switch to the left, and two whites to the right.

I don't like the 5-LED version either. The button is far too stiff and cycling through the three white settings is very irritating.

Just got one of these off of Amazon. Bit miffed you have to cycle the mode through 3 white light modes before it goes to night vision mode.

Has anyone modified one of these ..........

Tempted to open it up and remove one of the red LEDs anyway as its a bit bright.

Yeah, I modified one of these cheap lights by snipping out what I felt were all of the unnecessary led bulbs. I then cut out a red disc out of a plastic notebook cover to place over the lens, and used a black sharpie marker to darken around edges where unwanted light strayed through. The modification was easy and works fine. You can also cut out plastic discs for use in a Mag Lite, and other types of torches. :smiley:

Edit: Click on photos to enlarge.

post-21902-0-16321500-1376083068_thumb.j

post-21902-0-26377300-1376083089_thumb.j

post-21902-0-31292700-1376083102_thumb.j

post-21902-0-78456300-1376083137_thumb.j

post-21902-0-05371500-1376083172_thumb.j

post-21902-0-94800200-1376083934_thumb.j

Food for thought.

As cheap as torches are, everyone should do themselves, and their fellow observers a favour, and have a "DEDICATED" red light. If needed, have a separate white light torch of a different physical size and shape, so that no mistake can be made when they are handled in the dark.

There have been a number of times when others nearby have used their multifunction torches and I've lost my dark adaption due to to their fooling around trying to find the right setting; not cool at all.

Just saying.

Archived