Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OK, about to make a stupid decision...

startravel 500mm

Only without the dew shield, surely? In which case you need a cover for the objective. And you've still got to put the dew shield somewhere.

With the dew shield in place it's nearer 680mm.

James

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only without the dew shield, surely? In which case you need a cover for the objective. And you've still got to put the dew shield somewhere.

James

you are probably right I just quoted from this http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3307_Skywatcher-Startravel-120-OTA---Gro-feldrefraktor-120-600mm.html

you are probably right I just quoted from this http://www.teleskop-...-120-600mm.html

That's perhaps just a typo, but it's quite misleading. The dew shield is removable, but it's not really intended to be removed in normal use. The actual tube and focuser are about 500mm with the drawtube fully in, but much nearer the 680mm if you have to account for the dew shield.

James

James

Indeed. Even the Heritage is shorter (albeit without the base)..

I've got a C11 for planetary and lunar (kinda love high mag lunar images) and 152mm refractor for faint high res wide field DSOs. 6" refractor proved higher contrast and resolution than the C11, that's why it's got a special use. So basically I'm cover in range, but the problem with these two is the portability - the C11 weighs 12Kg and the 6" frac 11Kg - tube only. Oh, all I need is an observatory...

Tonight I'll push the 80ED to the limit and see how capable it is for visual. You see, in previous sessions using this scope every time I looked at for example M82 I totally craved for a larger aperture. It's like light collection greed.

I've got a C11 for planetary and lunar (kinda love high mag lunar images) and 152mm refractor for faint high res wide field DSOs. 6" refractor proved higher contrast and resolution than the C11, that's why it's got a special use. So basically I'm cover in range, but the problem with these two is the portability - the C11 weighs 12Kg and the 6" frac 11Kg - tube only. Oh, all I need is an observatory...

Tonight I'll push the 80ED to the limit and see how capable it is for visual. You see, in previous sessions using this scope every time I looked at for example M82 I totally craved for a larger aperture. It's like light collection greed.

The cure for that is darker skies. The ED80 performs very nicely visually, at least from my experience :). Then again, I've only got scopes from 80mm to 150mm aperture ;).

When it comes to portability the 1 thing the c6 shines at is its ability to pack a lot of optics in a small space ! of the things i am saving for is a c6 as its probably the largest portable ota i can manage easily. and I travel without a car to do my observing.

:D This is exactly why I can't get on with reflectors -- it makes more sense to me being at the bottom of the telescope. I guess my sense of direction sucks to begin with :D

Gigadee :D I think the opposite, the eyepiece is at the high end when you stand up :) kind of off topic I know, but when I explained to may parents I'll be bringing scope with me next time I visit, I explained a little bit how it worked and looked, and all my mum said,

"Ha , that's cheating, no way light bounces back up the tube and comes out the wrong end, seems stupid, could you not buy a normal scope, isn't that a scope for nerds ?"

Her idea of a scope is a frac, that's all she has ever seen in a shop probably, you look at one end, light comes in at the other end, that's it. It was a rather amusing conversation with many LOLs :D

I totally craved for a larger aperture.

This is something that's very difficult to get away from but with grab and go you have the luxury of having bigger aperture. You have to keep that in mind first and foremost when selecting this scope. Yes it's nice to have more aperture, but you have that already. So keep maximum portability in mind with the maximum possible aperture next in line. Focal length/TFOV potential of the scope has to come in next in my mind.

I personally think the ED80 is a great choice for this slot.

It's a pity they don't make smaller RCTs, which have faster speeds than SCTs usually around F7ish, so have better fields of view.

A 127 Mak should be a great scope to take around, I would imagine. Go for it. When I started out, I had chance to buy one in good price from a local seller, but I was not sure about it at the time, so gave a miss. Now thinking back, it should have been my first scope. I do regret not getting it at the time.

Archived