Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS ruins shot of the Milky Way around Cygnus!

After inspiration from another members post of his widefield shots, I went out on the night of the 7th and was taking some shots of the Milky Way around Cygnus.

Whilst the exposure was counting down I was looking around and spotted the ISS. Wow, I thought the ISS...hang on a minute that is heading straight for Cygnus...timer still has 45 seconds to run...yep, it's going to go right through my shot!

Here is the result:

post-21511-0-66865300-1375947646_thumb.j

There's also an aircraft in there for good measure! :rolleyes2:

I think it looks great... however, if you've at least 12 images, include it in the stack in DSS and use the Kappa Sigma or Median Kappa Sigma stacking... and it'll be magically removed in the final image :D It works a treat on aircraft trails (as so often happens to me).

It's crazy nowadays. I tend to plan my imaging around the iss and others by visiting heavens-above. I even resort to flightradar24 to see what planes are approaching from the south of my location so I can image 'between the gaps' ! Oh to live back in the 19th century.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Dispite the title of my post I do think it is quite neat and have it as one of my screen saver shots here at work.

Carl: No scope, just my old Canon 28-70mm EF zoom lens at 28mm and F3.5. Taken with my unmodified Canon 1100D, mounted on a CG5-GT.

John: I did take a number of shots of Cygnus that night and have tried to stack them in DSS with various degrees of success - must read instructions!

Once I get time to process the images properly I will post what I get on this forum.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Archived