NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Carl Sagan and Cosmos

Astralstroll

I've recently had another read of Cosmos by Carl Sagan. That in itself would have been rather good, but as I was sat at the weekend enjoying the deluge outside I suddenly remembered that I had got the DVD version of Cosmos at Christmas but had never found time to watch it. As the weather truly was dire, I got through all 5 DVDs in the weekend. Well worth every minute and penny. Dr Cox and Wonders of the Universe and Solar System next.

Dave.

PS I wasn't really enjoying the deluge!

A fantastic series, Cosmos. Fully of meaty content. You might disappointed in that context when you move onto the Wonders series.

It was weird seeing Carl age by 15 years at the end of each episode, though. I've been looking forward to the new version, but Tyson has big boots to fill!

It's exactly the sort of series we need... an in depth documentary presented by someone who genuinely knows their subject. Carl Sagan fitted that description, and so does Neil Degrasse Tyson.

I'll be looking out for that one...

I really liked Sagan's "The Cosmic Connection" (1973) - heady stuff for a 13/14 year-old just after the last Apollo missions. 40 years on and I still have my dog-eared copy in the obsy, and often reviewed: http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=1636

For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,

Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;

Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,

Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;

All those "strange new worlds" .. ah "Centaurus .... the dream of centuries" - best line Stephen Baxter ever wrote (among some pretty good other stuff!*)

P

*I'm still waiting for the Xeelee to actually appear in a story and reveal they look just like the Martians from War of the Worlds...

I remember watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos series when I was a kid and can still hear his unmistakable voice in my head even today all these years later. A great series presented by an inspirational guy with an unique and unforgettable voice. Even as I type I can hear him saying "Googolplex" :-)

Mike

Cosmos, what an inspiring series! It was that and the Time Life book 'The Universe' (with M33 on the front) that aroused my passion at an early age. Recently read a little of the COSMOS book again about one of the early records of astronomical event. There were two Monks staring up at the crescent moon in about 1100 A.D. when they report seeing two horns appear on the top cusp of the crescent. Turns out it was likely to be a meteor impact of collossal proportions. They have now worked out which crater on the moon was formed around that time.... and it's a big one.

I just watched cosmos, last week its new on netflicks, tons of info, really well put together series. Having been born after the series was made, the graphics were a little rudimentary for my liking, but I might be spoiled growing up in the 90's. There needs to be more series like cosmos on TV rather than all the trash they show during prime time. If it wasn't for the science channel, History 2, and my beloved Red Sox and Patriots I would never watch TV.

I just watched cosmos, last week its new on netflicks, tons of info, really well put together series. Having been born after the series was made, the graphics were a little rudimentary for my liking, but I might be spoiled growing up in the 90's. There needs to be more series like cosmos on TV rather than all the trash they show during prime time. If it wasn't for the science channel, History 2, and my beloved Red Sox and Patriots I would never watch TV.

The documentary channels on Sky have really gone down hill in the last few years... populated almost entirely by so called "reality" shows, that are scripted. There's virtually no substance to any of it anymore. H2 seems to have some decent programs, balanced with a healthy dose of junk. National Geographic still has the occasional gem too, but even that's succumbing to the current craze for pawning things... and rooting around in barns.

Archived