Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is a DMK best for PST imaging?

Thinking of upgrading from my Logitech Quickcam Pro to something specifically for the task. I know imaging with a PST has its limitations and potential focus issues (I have to use the naked PCB with a 1.25" adaptor pushed right down inside the focuser to get my Logitech to focus). I have read a load of posts on here, camera specs and done some window shopping. Result is I feel none the wiser (other than I know I want a mono sensor). QHY5LII, ASI120, DMKxx, PointGrey or something else? Today I started looking at these http://www.teleskop-...-ICX618ALA.html

Ideally I would like to get a full disk but not essential. I am concerned about newton rings based on the posts I have read. I have no interest in using this camera for anything other than solar (possibly for white light close ups or CaK in the future).

:icon_scratch:

Any pointers would be welcomed.

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The DMK41 will get you a full disk shot. I use the 21 as I tend to just image interesting areas rather than the full disk. Mosaic is an option with the 21 but a bit of a pain. I've had no issues with Newton rings with the DMK21

IDS has cheap USB2 version. The GigE costs something more (don't know how much, but Blackfly may be cheaper in that case). There is also cheap Ximea USB3, but you need a good USB3 controller (modern Intel, or their PCIe controller if you use a PC) - and it's supported only by SharpCap ("beta" support). The prices should be somewhere around 300-350 EUR (and up).

Whilst I'm here, I'd just like to go on the record to say that I really hate the way they give a sensor size as 1/1.8". What kind of expression is that? A fraction with a decimal denominator?! What's wrong with 5/9"?

James

I can confirm Piotr's comments about the Newton's rings with the ASI camera. From the images I've seen they seem to vary from camera to camera and on mine they're not too bad, but they're still there if you look for them. I'd not want to buy one in the hope it would be one of the better ones.

James

I received a call from the German sales office of IDS this morning who then put me in touch with the UK distributor Stemmer Imaging (website is easily located via a quick search). Subsequently had a call from Stemmer Imaging and I explained the purpose of the purchase as well as the intended use. Interesting to note there are Linux drivers for the IDS cameras although the Stemmer rep did indicate that Linux support was "platform dependant". I have just received a quote via email for the monochrome UI-1240LE camera http://en.ids-imaging.com/store/ui-1240le.html for £470.

So this is similar to DMK41. So next question is, of the two where does my money go?

Just checked the email, definitely the M-GL version.

Having looked again at the specs for the Blackfly, the IDS and the DMK I am very tempted to go with the Blackfly. Specs are very close to the IDS but is almost £200 cheaper? The attraction of the IDS was the Linux compatibility but for £200 I would save I could pick up a cheap Windoze laptop if need be.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what capture software I might be able to use with the Blackfly?

Also, with this version http://store.clearvi...p-mono-gige-poe do I need to buy the power supply? Sounds like it should just run off the ethernet connection on my laptop.

Thanks to all who have contributed here, it has really helped me :icon_salut:

Also, with this version http://store.clearvi...p-mono-gige-poe do I need to buy the power supply? Sounds like it should just run off the ethernet connection on my laptop.

Normally you buy a switch that supports PoE to inject the power. I guess it's possible your laptop does PoE, but I've never heard of one that does. I'd have a look to see what price you can get a PoE switch for.

James

Just checked the email, definitely the M-GL version.

Having looked again at the specs for the Blackfly, the IDS and the DMK I am very tempted to go with the Blackfly. Specs are very close to the IDS but is almost £200 cheaper? The attraction of the IDS was the Linux compatibility but for £200 I would save I could pick up a cheap Windoze laptop if need be.

PGR also has Linux support (including ARM), but rather no Linux end-user software. If you will be picking something check if it has GigE and not 100Mbit Ethernet.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what capture software I might be able to use with the Blackfly?

FireCapture :)

Yes, you need one. There are adapters for that - one Ethernet side to camera, second to computer (plus power supply).

Adds complexity to my eventual setup though that I was hoping to avoid. I was hoping to have laptop connected to camera with no other wires attached. Doing it this way means I need a power supply at or near the scope. I might revisit the PGR Chameleon.

That PoE injector you posted a link to can deliver power up to 100 metres away David, so you should be able to have it next to the PC and just have a single cat 5 cable to the camera. It does appeal to me more than USB, I have to say. Cable lengths can be longer and the RJ45 connectors lock in, unlike USB.

James

Archived