NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sheared Allen Bolt

Hi,

[removed word] it. After removing the dovetail from the SCT I was putting one of the Allen bolts back in when it sheared right off, no warning. Didn't even feel tight at the time. See the pic, all that remains is almost level. Any ideas? I could've chucked the whole thing through the window when it happened. Still might actually.

post-21775-137572862056_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to tell how much is sticking out, but you might just be able to saw a slot in the top with a junior hacksaw and then use a screwdriver to unscrew it. Failing that, drilling looks like it would be awkward. You might be able to get a good enough grip on it with mole grips, or even bond something to it using araldite or chemical metal?

That pozidrive screw in the foreground doesn't look too clever either, though it might just be the angle of the photo.

James

That pozidrive screw in the foreground doesn't look too clever either, though it might just be the angle of the photo.

I say pozidrive. It might actually be a badly mangled Philips.

James

Hi James, yes the initial idea was to remove the housing for easier access. I then discovered a) the screw was mangling and B) I had no idea what would happen when I removed them. Looks like the nuts would come off and drop onto the primary. Sometimes I should count to 10 before getting the tools out.

Craftsman tools sells a tool called a screw out. Simple to use,spray a little lubricant on the bolt, install screw out in a drill, put the drill in reverse, low speed. Boom! The bolt is on its way out. Over the last 15 years I've used my screw out countless times and has yet to fail me.

Chance are it's gone into a blind rather than through hole and bottomed out... that's why you didn't get much warning of it snapping... :(

Hope you manage to get it out .. the bolt will be harder than the surrounding casting so take your time with the initial hole... try to avoid drilling right through or you will end up with swarf inside the OTA...

Peter...

Get some stud extractors, drill a suitable size hole and wind in a extractor anti clock wise it will be out in a jiffy.....you don't have your home location listed if it near to N/Norfolk, Snettisham then pop it round i will sort it for you......or drill it out and put in a helicoil i properly have kicking around as well....

Hi Tinker,

I'm in Albury,Hertfordshire. That's a really kind offer and I think if I wasn't working in London I'd come over regardless of the 2 hour journey. Although looking at the kit you've got you'd probably have a hard time getting rid of me :) I'll let you know how I get on...

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Tinker,

I'm in Albury,Hertfordshire. That's a really kind offer and I think if I wasn't working in London I'd come over regardless of the 2 hour journey. Although looking at the kit you've got you'd probably have a hard time getting rid of me :) I'll let you know how I get on...

Cheers,

Matt

You are welcome anytime, just PM for the Post Code.Address.....

Where I've had to replace missing ones I've used stainless rather than black and bought them from ebay. In terms of cost per unit it's higher, but often you find you can only buy them by the hundred or even five hundred and I'd rather pay 20p each for ten than £15 for 100 most of which I'll never use.

James

Thanks faulksy, tonight was a failure. Centre Tapped the top of the sheared bolt before drilling down with a 2mm. Then hammered down the extractor screw but turning it anti-clockwise it just wasn't 'catching' , no sign of it being brought up. Just making more mess, now I have a hole. It's still 4mm wide but fear I'm only going to make things worse now!

post-21775-137581029971_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived